fear of driving??

I didn't know which category to put this question in. It's not really funny. But I have a fear of driving. I haven't driven in 6 years. Since I'll need to be driving my son to school in the fall, I need to overcome this and get my license. I just have such a terrible fear! I don't really know why, I've never been in a terrible car accident or anything like that.
If you've ever had a fear of driving, how did you overcome it? Are there any medications? No bashing please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am in the same boat you are. I finally bit the bullet and took the written test, Passed with flying colors, Now i am practicing driving. Just remember you are doing this for your kiddo, that's what really helped me, Yea driving is sorta scary but you have to realize you are in control of your own vehicle. Good luck and if you ever need to chat, I'll be here to listen.
    Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 7:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• there's a spray called rescue remedy its made from natural herbs you simply spray it on your tongue when you feel nervous or anxious. i used it when i was taking my driving test and it worked a treat i wasn't a bit nervous and passed my test first time with flying colours
    dee778

Answer by dee778 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Sounds like an anxiety disorder.
    Anonymous

• I have never held a license for this very reason. I have driven a car maybe a dozen times, always on back roads, never for a long period of time. Everytime I get behind the wheel of a car, the car like closes in on me and I struggle to breath. I am glad I am not the only one, I assume you will take comfort in the same. I will be checking back into this question to see some of the answers.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• im 28 never got my license because im too scared to drive, im hoping to pass it one day but i cant overcome it yet
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• OP here... yes, my pcp said it was an anxiety issue. She prescribed paxil and xanax and said to see a psychiatrist. There are no appointments available until June and I want to try to overcome this fear sooner.
    By the way, I am 40. I got my license at 16 and drove until 6 years ago. We moved and didn't have a car for a while, then when I thought about buying a car and getting behind the wheel gain, I freaked out. But now I HAVE to do this.
    Anonymous