Nipple discharge in an 11 yr old? Normal puberty?

I have googled this for information but I am not coming up with a lot of information other than its due to increased prolactin levels. Has anyone had a daughter that was going through puberty have tiny amounts of discharge on her nipples. She has just tiny breasts but they seem to be growing fast and shes noticed some yellowish discharge on them in the last few days. I never had this so I really don't know if its normal. If I cant find any more info, I will take her in to see the nurse practitioner. Thanks in advance.

momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 6:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• She might have a prolactinoma. I have that. If there is nipple discharge it is often due to an increase in prolactin. A prolactinoma is a tumor on the pituitary gland that makes your body produce more prolactin. Your doctor will do a blood panel to check for hormones such as an increase in prolactin. Prolactinomas are almost always benign and usually only require pill treatment. It is important to get this checked out.

Good luck.
    NotVeryClever

Answer by NotVeryClever at 2:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Anytime there is nipple discharge and no baby it is best to go see a doctor. Don't pass go don't collect 200 dollars. The doctor may tell you it is nothing but don't trust what anyone says on here.
    Rebeccalynn_dj

Answer by Rebeccalynn_dj at 7:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Take her to go see a doctor. Generally, that would imply that she has WAY too much estrogen in her system.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 7:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• How much cow's milk is she drinking? It sounds like an issue with hormones. I know a little girl who had similar issues, her mom switched to organic milk. Problem solved.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I think you should take her to the doctor too. She might have a hormonal imbalance or some sort of surge of estrogen that is causing her to have nipple leakage. Better safe than sorry.

cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 8:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Thank you. I was already planning to go to the doc, but I just wanted to know someone else had experienced this. I will call and make her an appt today.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:36 AM on Mar. 23, 2009