How can I potty train a 26 month old child .,that screams everytime he hears the word potty

We have done everything to potty train . He scream at everything that has to do with potty time

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Summer is the best time to potty train. I potty trained both of my kids in summer, at 15 and 22 months.
    If you let him run in his underwear or even naked around the house, he will be aware of when he does it. When you see him about to pee, gently take him to the bathroom and jokingly tell him that this is the place to do it. I had toilets placed all over the house, one in their room, one in family room etc. A week after watching, catching and sitting them on a toilet, they started doing it themselves.
    Another thing, try to make the potty area a fun place. My kids love books, so I placed a basket of books next to the toilet. A reward like stickers works, too. They always look forward to stickers. They used to be so proud wearing a sticker, and we'd always point to that sticker telling how proud we were of them.

• Try taking the child in when you go in and have them sit on potty while your sitting. Maybe the child needs to see how to do.

Answer by jlbtnc at 2:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Ww had a potty party. It shows there is nothing wrong with teh potty and its ok to stop what you are doing and go come back to what you were doing. We made a cake and i made her an invataion that siad you are invited to be a big girl. We had a tea party and prizes (from the dollar store) the next day we went on a hunt to all the norm. places we go and searched for all the potties we could and she went potty in each of tehm

Answer by junebug83 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Last summer we did the naked potty training approach, and it worked great, until he peed on his sisters head, so we had to go to wearing just underwear, that he got to pick out. DO NOT USE PULL UPS. With our son the sec you put a pull up on him he wouldn't use the potty take it off and he would use the potty. By the time he turned 3, he was using the potty to pee and poo, and he is even night time potty trained

Answer by mamashearer at 3:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Ohh and another thing, keep it simple. If you use to many of those musical potty chairs they can get distracted. We used the old time wooden potty chair with the arms

Answer by mamashearer at 3:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Great ideas from all previous posters!!! The most important thing to consider is the child's readiness to potty-train. He's just over 2 years old. He might need a little more time. Don't make a big deal about it, because then it will be a big deal. Just give it a rest for a little while. Then you can try some of the great ideas that the other ladies posted. Good luck!!

Answer by queenanne at 3:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I would just back off. My 26mo is also terrified of the potty and screams every time you mention it. So we aren't doing anything about it right now. My other girls were both over 3 years old before they were using the potty. I started them right after they turned 2 but nothing I did would make them use it earlier.

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I guess im old fashioned i have a boy he learned how to go by going to his favorite tree

• Wait until he is around 36 months that is really the recommended age anyway.

Answer by ilovemybananer at 3:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• i taught my sons to pee outside, they love it (they still pee outside - heck hubby does too- lol)

Answer by dannersmell at 1:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2008