how do you clean a dog's anal glands?!

my girlfriend does her dog's, and insists I need to do my dog's. Is this for real? Do dog owners clean their dog's anal glands on a regular basis, where is it, how do you do it, why do you do it? I don't think Sparky will like it very much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Pets

• You don't always have to do it, but you do need to check them. A good groomer will check the glands to see if they need expressing. Normally the dog manages it on her own; the gland gets emptied when the dog poops. But if you notice the dog "scooting" on the floor or biting at her bottom, then the glands may be impacted and may need to be expressed.

Not doing so can result in a bloody, messy problem. My dog had a ruptured anal gland a couple of months ago. It scared me to death because I'd never heard of such a thing until then! The vet stitched it up, and now I make a point of checking the glands regularly when I give her a bath.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Ewww. This is why I don't have dogs.

Maybe you can ask Google?
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Yes. But I let the groomer's do it. Remember last week when I was complaining about my dog farting all week.. well, she said he needed his anal gland drained. I said, "Have fun with that".. YUCK!
    Anonymous

• What the f!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haha I've never heard of this!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Oh wow I just watched a video. omg I didn't know you had to do that for dogs!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I googled it and watched a video, evidently this is important. I'm not sure I can do that, the vet on the video said it smells really bad when you do it.
    Anonymous

• Our cat's anal gland got an infection and backed up and "exploded" - it broke through the skin. It was a shock to all. Even the vet was startled, but I've since heard of it happening to other cats and to dogs, too. The cat was on antibiotics for a couple months and had to wear one of those lampshade collars until the wound was healed- not a happy kitty.

Answer by Bmat at 8:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• i wouuldn't do it myself. take them to the groomers or the vets. Its like ten bucks and takes like 5 minutes. they don't have to do it very often unless they are very active glands.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• here is a video that will show and tell you how to do it. if your not sure, dont. have the groomer do it. :o) http://www.expertvillage.com/video/8453_dog-grooming-basics-glands.htm
    crazybreezy

Answer by crazybreezy at 2:13 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I groom my dogs at home, I don't ever take them to the groomer. I clean my dogs anal glands once a year. It only takes a couple minutes. I refuse to pay the groomer or the vet $ for something I can do at home for free. It isn't fun to do by any means, but the smell isn't as bad as I thought it would be (it didn't smell good, lol, but it wasn't as bad as I thought).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2009