whats the 3 day method?

i've noticed a lot of people talking about it but i've never heard of it.

Asked by exxOHjackie at 7:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's basically a crash course to jump start potty training.
    You stay home for three days - no toddler classes, no trips to the zoo, no shopping.
    Starting the first morning, you give your kid lots of salty snacks and sweet drinks. The snacks make him thirsty, the sweet drinks don't quench that thirst - he drinks a ton and has to pee a ton.
    Keep him confined in a fairly small area with the potty right there. It doesn't have to be the bathroom but it needs to be small enough that he can't get out of your sight since you have to watch him like a hawk. Generally, you let him run without pants so you can see when he starts to pee. Then you get him to the potty and praise him for going. Since he's loaded up on drinks, he should go a bunch - giving lots of chances for him to figure it out. By day 3, he should have figured it out but that doesn't mean you will be accident free. Potty training usually takes YEARS to master...

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• And regression and accidents are common all the way to 1st grade. Expecting a child to completely learn to use the potty in three days is like handing a 16 year old the keys to a brand new sports car after a 3 day driver's ed course and expecting him to be accident free from then on. It's not going to happen.

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Lots os Salty Snacks and Sweet drinks?

doesn't sound like the healthiest approach.

Though I do agree with taking a week to stay home and not go anywhere when starting potty training a child. And the 'naked bum' part wokred well for my boys.

Answer by Kiter at 7:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I'm just learning about this myself. You should join the potty training group on here. That's what I did and there is a great explanation of the 3 day method there. It also gives a 3 day journal of what one mommy did. It was very informative!

Answer by mazonmom at 8:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I did a method sort of like this but did nothing with salty snacks or sweet drinks. My daughter drank water all day.. still had plenty of chances for accidents! (lol) Definitely check out the group mentioned above. Lots of info. This method worked for our daughter at 19 months old in about 7 days. Now, 2 months later, she goes a week or 2 without an accident. I recommend it, although it's hard work for those first few days, so you have to be committed and iron-willed!

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

Check that out :)
    Stay home 3 with your child every moment of the distractions for you.. Catch your child in the act of every accident and rush them to the potty. Only take them if they are having an accident or "tell" you somehow. Give them lots of snacks and drinks (they can be healthy stuff). By the 3rd day, it should click..if you follow it to the T

Answer by sunshinepraying at 2:28 PM on Apr. 18, 2009