how can i get my one year old to try new foods?

carson is a year and still eating stage 2 and some stage 3 foods. he'll kinda eat cheerios, but WONT swollow them. other babies his age are eating everything.. and im getting worried. if i even put the older foods in front of him.. forget it, the world has just started to end. i try every night but im just throwing so much food away. i hate this!!!!!!!

imheatherduhh

Asked by imheatherduhh at 7:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my son chews his food up then spits it out I just take it away for a little while. Also I have had to mix his veggies in velveeta cheese to get him to eat them. Try letting him feed himself with baby forks and spoons too. My son will give me trouble with eating on occasion because he just gets tired of me trying to feed him and he likes doing it on his own. A little mess is worth the success. Now he will try mostly anything when before he refused. Also, save those little stage 2 and 3 containers for left overs! they are the perfect size for little meals later. If you put small servings at a time in a bowl rather than feed him from the container you wont have to worry about the bacteria building up when you put the rest in the fridge. good luck
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately, I think persistence is the key. Just keep trying.
    momof2girls05

Answer by momof2girls05 at 10:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• If he doesn't have a lot or any teeth yet, this could be the problem. If this is the case, keep with the stage 2's for now, until he gets more teeth and is better able to chew..

if not....
    try getting the gerber puffs. they dissolve in their mouths, and help them grasp the idea of chewing a lot faster. Also try mixing in some soft cut up fruit into his cereal in the morning, namely bananas because they are the easiest at his age. Don't discourage, keep trying, just because one kid is doing it and one isn't, doesn't mean this is bad. He may not be ready yet. Give him time and try the few tips I gave you and pretty soon he'll jump right into eatting solids over stage 2's.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:21 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• start sharing your food with him, just a bite and a taste here and there this will make him curious....worked great with my kids. Just be careful i now have to share everything i eat and or drink with them.
    paapke

Answer by paapke at 10:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2009