What can I do?

Think my 16 month old DD watches too much television. I find it difficult to spend time with her. Her attention span is so limited that play time is hard for me. Plus she likes a lot of freedom, she is very inquisitive and loves to explore. She does not always like me to be around her, she very much enjoys being off by herself. When we do play together, we have fun. I often keep the television on- just for background noise. Frequently during the day she will sit & watch Noggin for a few minutes at a time- usually not more than 15 minutes at a time, for a total of about 2 maybe 2.5 hours a day. She has about 10-12 words, can point out body parts when asked, can follow directions well, and is generally a happy child. Is watching a max of 2.5 hours of television a day bad? How do I stop it? How can I interact with her more? What are some activities we can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I hate to admit it but my 18 month old watches a two hour block of PBS in the morning. She spends a lot of time outside too though. She doesn't seem to be suffering, and has a bigger vocabulary then her 2 yr old cousin. I just try to balance it out by getting on the floor and playing with her, taking her for walks and exploring outside. I never thought I'd be the mom who let the TV babysit her kid, but then I got pregnant and at 7am it is nice to lay on the couch while the kid watches some Elmo. You could try turning the TV off though if it is that big a deal.
    Anonymous

• Um... a short attention span is normal but if you already feel that its too much t.v. switch the background noise to music. I found it hard to interact that much with my kids at young ages too. But... some ideas are: reading, coloring, and be happy she likes to do things on her own and you have fun with her.
    I like background noise too. If you have a classical station or something relaxing like Jazz etc. switch the channel to that, so you are both getting brain stimulation.
    And relax, if you guys are having fun when you are playing toghether and she will come to you when she needs to, then let her have her space, its a good thing.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Noggin is actually good for her. You'd be amazed by the things she'll learn. To counter her just sitting, try doing lots of running and moving when you have your playtime with her. That way she has a balance of good educational tv and exercise.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Just because it's on doesn't mean she's just sitting and watching it. You said it's just on and off watching. She'll be just fine. I always had some kids show on when my son was that age. He would occasionally watch and then be off and playing. He is fine now at 13. No ill effects.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:19 AM on Mar. 23, 2009