What are my chances of having a second child with Autism?

I have one child wo just turned 5 my dh and I have been throwing around the idea..Of having baby number 2.We are both very very scared our second child will have Autism like our first born.Dont get me wrong our child is the world to us and is very high funtioning but still it takes a lot to raise a child with special needs and I honestly can't imagine raising two Autisitc kids.
My mind wonders sometimes about having a Typical child.I watch parents with their kids and sometimes feel resentment .I can't help but feel this way.I wish I could have a normal conversation with my child.I wish I could dream about Proms,First dates,Drivers licence.Test scores etc...I dont think of those things.I worry how my child will be treated in school when they grow older..I wonder If they will ever find a special someone who will love them unconditionally.Maybe I have anwsered my own question.I want to make the right choice for my family!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would ask your pediatrician,I have a friend who has 3 children,2 has autisum,and the third is being tested,but she is a very ,very rare case. Or just google autism. Good Luck,to you.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I think most of us mom's of children with autism have these feelings. My DS (7) is also high functioning, but I still wonder just what his life will be like in the future. He was 5 when I found out I was pregnant with his baby brother. The baby is 19 months and developing normally at this point. He does things his brother never did and still doesn't do. He (the baby) has better social skills at 19 months that his 7 year old brother. So I think there is a chance of having a second child with autism, but there is also that chance that you won't.

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I have friend with 4 kids. The 2nd one is autistic. She is pregnant again & due soon. Its never been a concern to them they would have another autistic child. I mean, the 1st one was not so how could they know the next one would be...it is a chance you take I guess but I do think its more random & you probably have the same chances each time you get pregnant that the child may or may not be.
    Anonymous

• I don't know the statistics. My oldest has PDD-NOS... neither of my younger kids are on the spectrum at all. My youngest we are watching, not for autism, but because he is way ahead academically for his age (3 1/2), but way far behind in physical things. There is just a HUGE gap b/w his strengths and weaknesses, which is something we've noticed with my oldest as well. However we have no social/speech concerns with my youngest at all and he gets along well with other kids, whereas my oldest is in 2nd grade and still will not speak to kids in the classroom at all (but will interact with 1-2 kids at a time in Speech/Social therapy, with my other kids and with kids at church).

I can honestly say that my younger kids have been the best therapy my oldest son has had in many ways! It has been so good for him to have siblings!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 10:39 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I dunno. My mom had 5 children, the first 2 were boys (had the same father) and do not have autism. Me and my sisters (we have different dads too) all have autism. I have 2 sons. My oldest has autism and I don't know about my youngest yet, he is only 2 months old (but I don't think he does). It just all depends. Then again, I never feared having a second child with autism because raising an autistic child is hard to me.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have three kids. Two are on the spectrum, the youngest seems to be neurotypical so far.
    Anonymous

• I have some websites with info about autism that might help you. message me if you are interested.
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 2:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2009