IUD & abortion? and other questions about IUD's...

I just got an IUD put in last week. So I thought I did all the research on the IUD and I chose that as what I wanted because it seems easiest. So after I got it put in I have had some discomfort and it's been 4 days. Is this normal? I feel the string and it's really uncomfortable sometimes. I haven't tried to have sex because I'm afriad it will hurt. So I just happen to mention to someone that I have one and they asked if I knew that was a form of abortion. I am VERY pro-life so I was upset that they were saying that. Is it really? She was also telling me she has heard alot of people get preggo while having an IUD and it can be dangerous. What do you guys think?? I'm freaking out right now about having it and I am feeling I made the wrong choice and want to call to get it removed already. I talked to my husband about it and he has left it up to me. So does the discomfort go away and do you think it's a form of abortion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• its not abortion its birth control! thats a dumb thing for them to say!the discomfort will go away i know because i have one. theres always a risk of getting pregnant even with your tubes tied or any other birth control.
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 8:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• no its not a freaking for of abortion... the idiot that told you that should be slapped... the device puts of a small amount of hormones that will stop you from releasing an egg and alot of times stop period altogether... So you see! if you dont produce an egg you cant get pregnant, therefore the IUD can not cause an abortion.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 8:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I had some girl in high school say that everytime you had your period she thought it was an abortion....lol. The iud stops you from getting pregnant...not give you an abortion
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• no it is NOT a form of abortion, if you are feeling discomfort it may just be the small string they leave attached to the iud for when you need it removed. Go see you doctor and share your concerns, but relax- you are not aborting any babies.
    nannabart

Answer by nannabart at 9:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• The IUD stops the eggs from attaching whether it is fertilized or not. It says right there on the Mirena website. You could get pregnant and if you have the Mirena removed because of the pregnancy you could miscarry, that too is on the website. All birth control makes the womb a bad environment for an egg, fertilized or not.

Mirena Website: How does Mirena work? It is not known exactly how Mirena works. Mirena may work in several ways. It may thicken your cervical mucus, thin the lining of your uterus, inhibit sperm movement and reduce sperm survival. Mirena may stop release of your egg from your ovary, but this is not the way it works in most cases. Most likely, these actions work together to prevent pregnancy.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:04 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Also from the website:

There are also risks if you get pregnant while using Mirena and
    the pregnancy is in the uterus. Severe infection, miscarriage,
    premature delivery, and even death can occur with pregnancies
    that continue with an intrauterine device (IUD). Because of this,
    your healthcare provider may try to remove Mirena, even though
    removing it may cause a miscarriage.

matthewscandi

• http://berlex.bayerhealthcare.com/html/products/pi/mirena_patient_insert.pdf
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• God no its birth control some people drive me nuts sometimes! An abortion is when you abort a fetus when your already pregnant birth control is to prevent pregnancy in the first place. A friend of mine had an IUD and said she had bad cramps for the first week or two and they finally went away.
    dairyberrys

Answer by dairyberrys at 10:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• it's birth control, but if you're wondering it prevents the fertilized egg from ever implanting. So, if you're looking at conception being the moment where it becomes a baby, this form of birth control may bother you. You have to figure that out on your own. However, the pain is not normal, you could just need your strings cut shorter...it's very common.
    Anonymous

• you should find that person and smack them....WTF who in their right mind would tell someone that an IUD is abortion WTF it is birth control thatprevents pregnancy for up to 5 years or less if you want...I had IUC (thats the name for them now) placed a couple weeks ago and no problems, hun if you are having discomfort and can feel the string you need to get butt back to the doctor and have him/her check the placement......again, smack the person that told you that!
    breebers

Answer by breebers at 8:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2009