Help Me With My First Rice Cereal Feeding!

The box says to start out with 1 tbsp for a first feeding and mix to "desired consistency" with breast milk, water or formula (I will use breast milk). How much breast milk would you mix in? Did you spoon feed it? Any tips?

My son is 4 months old and we're using Beech Nut Rice Cereal if that helps any. Thank you!

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 8:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I gave dd Rice Cereal w/breast milk last week..very runny since I didnt want her choking on it. She hated it, made so many faces. I tried again a couple times and it was okay. But since she's six months I just decided to puree some boiled carrots, mix some breastmilk in and she has loved the stuff! I agree on not putting in the bottle. Any babies I've seen who do this are overweight..not that thats horrible but it creates better eating practices on a spoon.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:00 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• make sure its very runny and if there doing good less breast milk and thicker there first time make it like very soupy
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 8:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My doc said to spoon feed it.

He said that babies who drink it from a bottle are sometimes harder to ween off the bottle...also, gives em practice eating out of a spoon.

Make it the consistency of formula, or a teeny bit thicker.
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 8:48 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Don't put cereal in baby bottle. Always spoon feed. Make it runny for first couple feedings, then make it thicker as baby starts getting the hang of it.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I didn't start with that much cereal. My daughter was 5 1/2 months when I started her on it. I put 1 teaspoon of cereal mixed in with about 4 to 5 teaspoons of milk. ie: breastmilk or formula. Every day I thickened it a lil more. She's 7 months now and I mix in a little fruit with her cereal for breakfast. She loves it!! Especially oatmeal.
    Anonymous

• 7:53pm oh and I fed it to her in a bowl w/ a spoon.
    Anonymous

• =D How'd it go?
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 8:56 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Didn't do cereal. Mashed banana. He loved it.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• In a bowl with a spoon. A tiny bit of cereal and milk. Even milk without cereal mixed in for the first experience with the spoon, and then a soupy mix of the small amount of cereal with the milk. Open your mouth so the baby will know what you expect and will open his mouth like a little bird, it is so cute!

Answer by Bmat at 9:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• i just sort of guessed. lol. that didnt sound like a lot of cereal to me, so i just put a some in a bowl, and mixed in water to the consistency i wanted it. i made it thinner at first, but actually thicker than most of the moms here have said to do. she took it better when it was thicker than the first few times. also she ate it all. lol

now she eats cereal mixed with fruit. but she is 8.5 months. i never know exactly how much cereal i am using (dont yell at me people). i put the fruit in first, and then just slowly mix in the cereal to how thick i want it. she likes it pretty thick at this point.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2009