If a recepie calls for both baking powder and baking soda and I just have baking powder will it turn out ok?

cake

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• All I can tell you is to try it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That is the way we find new ways to make things. I would say you are safe. I know the baking powder would be something you really need, but am unsure about baking soda.. All I can tell you is to google it.
    Anonymous

• As far as I know, baking powder is baking soda plus something else- cream of tartar maybe. Baking powder does not need an acid to become active, but baking soda does. So if you need a teaspoon of baking powder and one of baking soda, you should be OK to use two teaspoons of baking powder- since you'd just be adding a little extra acid (the cream of tartar. ) The recipe may rise a little bit more. I'd say go for it.

Answer by Bmat at 8:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Yes, baking powder has the cream of tartar in it. It may have a bitter taste to it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• No, I don't think it will turn out right.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I think if you use self-rising flour it has the soda in it. My husband uses it when he bakes instead of soda.
    baboluchi56

Answer by baboluchi56 at 2:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• You have to use MORE baking powder if your going to substitute. Look it up online for the correct measurements, but yes you can do that. They are practically the same thing.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Depends on the recipe. Baking powder is baking soda, with cream of tartar and cornstarch added in. This allows the baking powder to work in the absence of an acid, and the cornstarch absorbs any moisture in the other dry ingredients so that a reaction doesn't take place until the wet ingredients are added. In recipes that call for both, the baking powder does most of the leavening, and the baking soda neutralizes some of the acid while adding tenderness and a bit of leavening. If you try the recipe without the baking soda, do *not* increase the baking powder by more than 1/4 tsp. Adding too much baking powder will cause rapid rising, followed by collapse, in addition to adding a bitter taste.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2009