What's up with all the plane crashes?

Is it just me or have there been a lot more plane crashes recently? This one, breaking news, is super sad!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=7146068

Fedex cargo plane:
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=7146150

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 8:48 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• FAR more people die in car crashes every year than in plane crashes. You only hear of the "big" stories, but you don't hear much of the non spectacular plane crashes that people walk away from.....just like you don't hear of every car accident, just the ones that make big stories!

As a former pilot, I can tell you that one of the first things every pilot learns is to be constantly aware of a place to set the plane down in case of emergency. We also spend hours in various spin/dive/stall simulations to hone our skills on how to get out of them. Commercial pilots even experienced ones, are required to spend hours every year in a simulator. We have little control over equipment malfunctions but we learn how to fly as best we can WITH a malfunction. Capt. Sully is a fantastic example of that.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:19 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I hate flying...I hate flying. I will say it again "I HATE FLYING"
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• i was thinking the same thing!! i was liek hmm no way im going on a plane anytime soon lol
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• im scared to fly...never have and don't think i ever will...

my husband is a paratrooper (airborne infrantryman) and its his job to jump out of planes...no thanx
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I love to fly :-) I have less of a chance dying on a plane than I do a car.

It seems there are more crashes by planes but in comparision to driving it is still a lot less!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I hate flying too but these thing wont keep me from doing it. You hear every single day about people in car crashes. Are you going to stop traveling by car?
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 11:56 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• gravity
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:13 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Whats up with all these car crashes? Apparently planes are safer then cars! But like my mom said when you get into a car accident 247 people don't die, in a car maybe a few get hurt and yes people die but not like a massacre! I am reallt weary of flying and probablt never will unless my son insists on it.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I agree with Michigan mom. A lot more people do die in car crashes. If you haven't noticed, the media loves to only focus on the bad things that happen..
    Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 9:39 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It's a huge deal when 17 die in a big crash. How about the crashes that happen in CA on the grapevine due to fog? Huge pileups and lot of death and injury. That gets pretty good press coverage as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2009