does anyone have a child who is very sensative emotionally?

My daughter is six years old, and is very sensative. She will cry over the littleest things. I dont even have to yell at her she cries. her feelings are easily hurt. She has been having trouble paying attention and staying on task. I was just wondering if anyone else has a child like this and if so do you have any advie.
Oh I have gotten her envolved in a program at school called closing the gap. It is going to help her with keeping her focus in school. I just at looking for the at home part........I am a bit lost.

inessama

Asked by inessama at 9:26 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My youngest has a Sensory Processing Issue. I swear he can tell the smallest change in the pitch of my voice when I am upset, no mater how hard I try to cover it- and that alone will totally set him off.

I advice looking for a Behavioral Therapist or Behavioral Psychologist. They deal with childhood issues, but they do behavioral methods and activities instead of medicating. The one we went to was full of wonderful ideas that worked with my son.

(my other advice would be to homeschool, LOL, but I am a bit biased)
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 9:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My son is the same way. He has been forever. We are having him evaluated for an attention disorder. The counselor said a lot of children that have a hard time focusing in school with not learn to cope with it. The feel like failures and they will often get into trouble at home for their behavior, which adds to the problem. So they are emotionally unstable. Give her charts with pictures or simple words she can read to help keep her on task. If she can keep her focus a little better at home and things start working out better at home, she will probably work out a better way to cope. Talk to her, and never call her a bad kid or anything like that. Good luck!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• can you slightly alter the things they do in her program tomake them work for the Home Environment.
    For my HyperSensitive son some things that he needs are:
    Structure, detailed schedules, getting to make as many of his own choices/decisions as I can let him make, lots of sleep, lots of physical activites, lots of protein.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 9:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My daughter is this way, but is improving. This can be dificult, because those feelings are REAL. Some people just have very sensitive feelings. So, it can be irritating when she cries over something small, but at the same time i dont want to get irritated AT her again because those feelings are real & you don't want to undermine them. What i do is i try to help her examine where those strong feelings are coming from. For instance, yesterday step dad snuck up on her & popped a balloon behind her to startle her. Usually she may laugh, but was heart broken that he popped her baloon (even though we had a whole bad she could have blown up). Of course, tears were coming down. I sat with her & asked her why it upset her, she explained that it was hard work to blow the baloon by herself. So i told her i understood, she worked at something & it got ruined. SCROLL DOWN......
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:21 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Sometimes, kids feel things & they're not exactly sure why (adults do this too) it can really help if you take a little time to try to help break down their emotions & figure out the who/what/why their feelings are hurt. You'll notice by the end of your talk, she is no longer upset. It also helps them figure out there OWN emotions, & can help w/ problems in the future. Well, it helps with my daughter. Whatever you do, don't get irritated about her string emotions. Really, it's a beautiful thing to feel so strongly, to love, laugh, & cry so strong is beautiful. Don't make her hide how she feels, just help her explore her feelings. She will be able to sort them out herself if she can get a lil help figuring them out. Be patient, because if your not, she may feel like she is misunderstood & that's a terrible feeling for a child.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:26 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I'm sorry, but i don't think being emotional means your child has any kind of behavioral problems as to other moms have described. It means she has strong emotions.....people often take this as some sort of behavior problem & try to solve it w/ meds and psychologists. It's not necessary to do those things. If a parent can take extra time to talk to their child, figure out their brain better & help them figure out there emotions better psychologists are not necessary. Most parents don't choose to take the time it needs to have long talks w/ their children, it's very necessary. It helps the parent learn more about their children & vice versa.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:35 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I was a very sensitive, and emotional child. Both of my children are too. I have a son and daughter. The most important thing I would suggest is to communicate softly, caringly, understandingly (even if you don't), and to help them to look at things differently which will make them feel better. They need their feelings validated, not minimized. Don't say things like......'just deal with it', 'get over it', 'don't be a baby', 'you're acting ridiculous', 'have a stiff upper lip', 'buck up', or anything callous since the child will make you feel like you don't care or understand!

The way you handle your child will determine how well they work through their emotions. I recommend lots of hugs, kisses, and caring communication. Kiss away the tears, quell all of their fears, and help them to find humor in situations. Be positive and compassionate. That is what a child who is extremely sensitive and empathic needs!
    partygal19dani

Answer by partygal19dani at 8:55 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• my dd will be 4 next month and she is the same way i dont know what to tell you i am in the same boat as you i do not know what to do with her she will cry over the littlest things as well so i need to know the answers to this question too lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:39 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Its just the girls, my boy is the same way.. It hard to try to keep him from doing it.. An its hard to keep my cool all the time.. My tounge bleeds more than anymom i know.. LOL
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i have a 7 year old son who is the same way--(i was too growing up--so he must get it from me)--sad thing is at school his teacher gets very frustrated with him over it--he is struggling in school period--i try to be encouraging, etc--and have talked to his teacher--but she doesn't understand and just gets frustrated.
    jdmyangel

Answer by jdmyangel at 9:57 AM on Mar. 23, 2009