If you have the "fear of God"....don't you fear Satan too? What's the difference?

There was another question about what the "fear of God" means where many people answered "fear" in the bible actually means respect, awe, wonder, etc. And it means (somehow) that God loves you.

So, don't you fear Satan too? Does that fear have a different definition? How can the word fear in the same book have two completely different meanings?

To fear God means you love him, to fear Satan means you are actually scared of him and hate him? Makes no sense to me.

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I feared God much more than Satan. I feared that God was going to test me one day by taking away family members and such. It was awful. I never feared Satan, I just didn't. But, since I'm now an atheist, I don't have anxiety over things that I cannot control. I don't think that if something bad happens to my family that it's all part of some greater plan. Shit happens, that's life. I can only do so much to create my own "luck" and what have you.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 9:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Satan is under God, why fear something like that? God is to be respected and not the devil. My point of view...
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• For some reason I don't fear God. I love, respect and honor Him but I do not fear God. The devil is not worth my time or holds enough respect to be feared.
    Anonymous

• No I do not fear satan for perfect love casts out all fear. There was a thread on here recently on the Fear of the Lord. There is two kinds of fear one is awe and one is not .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• MotherofIreland and that kind of fear was not from God. That was from satan. If we have that kind of fear toward God it means we do not trust Him. :(
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I don't fear God or the devil because GOD is all-loving and the devil doesn't exist!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• When I say that I fear God, it means that I have deep respect, reverence and awe of God. I believe He is so holy and amazing. My fear of Him is something that makes me want to run towards Him and cast myself on the ground before His throne and worship Him with all my heart.

I don't fear Satan because I believe that the Holy Spirit is inside me and God will protect me. But I have had experiences of spiritual warfare and it freaks me out. I have had experiences with demons on occasion. I am kinda sensitive in this area for some reason. But I pray and read scripture and pray. I do get goosebumps though. I think it is natural, even people who saw angels in the Bible would be greatly afraid, sometimes terrified. It is just freaky when you realize there really is something else there!!! lol.

I know not all of you believe in the devil or demons, but does anyone else have any experiences with it? Were you freaked out, a little?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I don't fear satan, satan fear me. he has been defeated and knows it.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 12:04 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Well said, Maiasmommy!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:31 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• The difference between fearing God and fearing Satan, if you are a believer ,is the difference between fearing the disapproval and lack of fellowship, warmth of acceptance of someone you have the greatest love and affection for, someone whose love you want, and need, compared to fearing someone who is horrible, vicious, malicious and wants to destroy you with no regard for you at all. God is the first being, Satan is the last. If you are not a Christian, the fear is probably
    similar because you have never known the warmth and fellowship with 'Jesus as your personal Savior from being close to him, having some Christian family. There is nothing like being loved by the Lord. There is nothing as horrible as being not loved by Him and knowing it. He died for us because He loved us, wanted us to be His, but He could not accept us until we accepted Him.
    and the fact that He gave His life for us when we were alienated/unrighteou
    99315

Answer by 99315 at 3:34 AM on Mar. 23, 2009