Does the dating thing ever get easier?

My oldest is 14 (almost 15). Until a couple months ago she never really had much interest in boys, and even turned down a couple guys who asked her out. Now a guy she's been friends with since the beginning of the school year has asked her out. He's a decent kid and we have no problem with them going out, so my husband took her to meet the kid for a movie tonight. My husband walked up to the theater with her and he said she went running up to this boy and hugged him and put her head on his chest. For some reason this bothers me. I don't want her to be clingy to any guy. She always gave me the impression that he was the clingy one at school. I kind of knew she was starting to like him too much, but now I'm thinking I'm just not ready for this whole dating thing. Does it get easier seeing your child cling to their bf/gf? I'm already going to talk to her about it tonight when dh brings her home, but am I being silly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Oh momma........big hugs. I dont think it ever really gets easy. My oldest is 24 now my youngest 6. I didnt think I'd live threw my oldest daughter and dating. I was honest with her and told her that I do understand about kids and dating........but it makes me uncomfortable watching her with all the touchy stuff. She respected me and kept the huggy touchy stuff to a minimum around us lol. Keeping a line of communication open is important. Let her grow up.......but do it on both your terms. Be honest, tell her the truth. Do it in a way that wont embarress her or make her feel uncomfortable. Tell her that just like she is learning to grow up, your learning to let go. You both need patience. Remember how it felt to be her age and use that knowledge to help you understand her and what she is going threw. Good luck.........
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Thank you mistynights, that's exactly what I'm planning on doing. : ) We always stay up a little later than everyone else and talk so we have a pretty good relationship, but it just kinda weirded me out that she would be all clingy to him. I'm going to tell her that I understand, but I would also like it if she'd not be like that in front of her father and I. This stuff is all so weird, but you're right we have to start to let go at some point. And to think I get to experience this some more in a few years when my next one (she's 11 ) is in high school. I can't wait.

Anonymous

• Its tough, but you might just have to bite your tongue from time to time and remind yourself that she is making good choices, but it also depends on the level of appropriateness about how to act in public (not to mention that you should discuss how she should be acting when they are alone - I don't want to scare you, but there have been posts on CM about kids getting pregnant in a movie theater!!!)

This is something I anticipated and for years when we'd see some couple 'sucking face' or acting otherwise a bit too affectionate in public I tell my kids that I hope they will be more reasonable - and I remind them that I ask them to behave and follow the same values that we live by. As an example, think about how you would feel if Dad and I were overly affectionate while waiting for a meeting at your school... in front of all your teachers and friends???? They chuckle.. but I think they get the message!
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 3:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• NEVER. you are her parent and you will cry at her wedding and when she has children because your daughter has other people in her life. You worry for her safety and that someone is taking her away. The best idea is to support her because in the end her choices are her own and she will only resent you for complaining and trying to change her mind once she has decided she is ready to date, get serious, and someday get married.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2009