Breastfeeding.. and having drink w/dinner?

What are the thoughts / knowledge on how long to wait before feeding your baby if you have a drink with dinner (i.e. wine)?
thanks :)

KellyJC

Asked by KellyJC at 10:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think for every glass you are supposed to wait another 2 hours before you breastfeed again for your body to metabl\olize the alcahol. If you need to nurse before that time I would give expressed milk and pump yours and dump it.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I've always been told 2 hours but I could be wrong.
    TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 10:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Same rules as driving....one drink per hour....but that means ONE OUNCE of alcohol, and many glasses of wine or mixed drinks contain more than that.

And no need to pump & dump. Alcohol metabolizes in your milk the same way it does in your blood...So only time will do the trick. If you go many hours without nursing your baby because of alcohol intake, you will need to pump, only to maintain supply, and you will need to "dump" it. But pumping does not get the alcohol out of your milk.

There's no harm done with ONE drink. Just make sure you have it fairly soon after nursing your baby, so it will be awhile before you nurse again.

Kellymom.com has a lot of great information about breastfeeding.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 11:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I was told from a lactation specilast that if your safe to drive then your safe to nurse. But i allways would wait about two hours.. but mostly jsut because I allways wait til after the kids are in bed to have any alcohol and so the baby usually doesn't wake up to nurse till around 3am.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• What the LLL says about alcohol and breastfeeding: Alcohol passes freely into mother's milk and has been found to peak about 30 to 60 minutes after consumption, 60 to 90 minutes when taken with food. Alcohol also freely passes out of a mother's milk and her system. It takes a 120 pound woman about two to three hours to eliminate from her body the alcohol in one serving of beer or wine...the more alcohol that is consumed, the longer it takes for it to be eliminated. It takes up to 13 hours for a 120 pound woman to eliminate the alcohol from one high-alcohol drink. The effects of alcohol on the breastfeeding baby are directly related to the amount the mother consumes.

heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• One drink? I wouldn't even bother waiting.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:08 AM on Mar. 23, 2009