Who has forward faced their baby before 35 lbs...

It looks like almost every state in thew country has a law that a baby must be at least 1 year old and 20 lbs before forward facing. I have met many moms on here who decided to wait till 35 lbs. Did you go ahead and forward face once they hit 20 lbs? Do you wish you waited? just curious! My son is fixin to be 1 next month and isnt 20 lbs yet, so I will obviously wait. But I'm kinda excited abour forward facing him once he hits that weight, but if there was to be a car accident I know I'd regret it.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I turned my son at 1 and I kind of do wish I had waited. I actually just recently heard about other Moms waiting until a certain age and weight. I think 4 years old is a little much but I do wish I had waited until he was at least 2.
    TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 10:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I did my older ones at about 25 lbs. My dd who is 18 months I switched about 3 months ago and she was almost 30 bs, my chunky baby. But alot of the older car seats too were only safe rear facing up to 20-25 lbs.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• my DD is 24 lbs and 10 months, i switched her
    Anonymous

• Keep your son facing backwards as long as you can. I was lucky enough to have a wonderful carseat that kept my youngest facing backwards to 35 lbs. There is somethings that even though they may seem like a happy and fun milestone and easier for you.........they really shouldnt be pushed.

Your correct in what you stated at the end of your posting "I'm kinda excited abour forward facing him once he hits that weight, but if there was to be a car accident I know I'd regret it." Dont forget that :).
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My son is 15 1/2 months old and I turn my son once he hit one.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• we switched my daughter to forward facing at about 15 or 16 months, that's when she finally hit the 20 lb. mark. I didn't know anything about extended rear facing until about 2 or 3 months after we switched her. Her old car seat wasn't designed for a child over 20 pounds, and the new car seats that we had already bought, installed and started using can't be turned around and used as a rear facing seat. So we just stuck with what we already have. We don't have the money to go out and buy 2 more new carseat, but i wish we had known about extended rear facing before we switched. We definately would have bought different car seats and stayed rear facing longer.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 10:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I switched my kids @ 1 year and 20 pounds. I figured you have the same chance at being rear ended that you do head on. I don't regret it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• How do you keep a 35 lb kid facing backwards?? My 3 year old weighs that much and his legs would be sticking up in the air on the back seat!!
    I will turn my son when he is the right height/weight. Hell when we were kids we were facing forward at a very young age & when our parents were kids they didnt even have car seats!
    My kids liked facing forward and being able to see what was going on
    Anonymous

• I didn't. If I had my oldest would have been rear facing until she was like 6 1/2-7 years old. My middle daughter would have been 5. My son would have been 2 1/2. Which means they all would have been rear facing at the same time. You know any car that can handle 3 rear facing carseats? Because ours sure couldn't. Our oldest turned around at 15 months when her brother was born. She was only 18 1/2lbs but we didn't see an easy way of getting her in and out with her brother in his seat (we figured it out later and wished we had waited until she was 20lbs...which was when she was 18 months).
    My son turned around at 13 months and 25lbs when his younger sister was born. The next one turned around at like 16 or 17 months (she was about 22-24lbs). My youngest turned around at 1 and 20lbs because we got a new vehicle and her seat didn't fit well rear facing. She continued to ride rear facing in the other car.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I'm going to switch my son to forward facing when he is 1 years old. He is 10 months now and is over 20 lbs., so just waiting on his age. I don't think I could wait much past 1 years old since he is big for his age, both height and weight. His poor legs would be crunched!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2009