Who all does Lent?

Until this year I thought only Catholics did Lent. But every Lutheran church I drive by has stuff about "Lenten services" on their marquee. So Lutherans do it too? Who else does it? And what's the whole idea of Lent about anyway?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 10:26 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Many mainstream Protestant churchs celebrate Lent. Anglicans and Lutherans are pretty universal about it. Methodists often recognize the Lenten season. Presbyterians and other Reformed denominations sometimes too. I think there might be a few Baptist churches that do Lent - but not too many of them in my experience.

Lent is basically the 40 days before Easter and it's a time to repent our sins and reflect on Christ's sacrifice for us. Different churches have different rituals and recommendations of exactly how to do this. But the main purpose is to express sorrow for our sins and to prepare to celebrate Christ's resurrection.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Why thank you =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:24 PM on Mar. 22, 2009