My son is almost 6 months, and hes gotten good with his hands. But he scratches/grabs his eyes when hes about to go to sleep...and he's cutting his face up..Ive cut his nails and he still does it? I needsome help...I dont want people thinking I dont take care of him...Ive put gloves on him...but he cant grab with them on...so I take them off and he's bleeding..Please help...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He will grow out of that phase. Just give him time. Most people that have kids will probably understand what is going on when they see the scratches.
    Anonymous

• Maybe file them down too, cutting them still leaves some sharp corners,usually not an uissue but with him hurting himself you might try to file. I'm sorry I hate watching babies get hurt even they they usually are the ones to inflict it on themselves. People shouldnt look at you bad, you are doing the best you can
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• first, your son isnt the only baby that does this! my DD is 9 m/o & still digs at her eyes when shes sleepy. she also cuts the inside of her ears occasionally. ive had to start filing her nails after i cut them b/c cutting them leaves sharp corners. its a big pain but it cuts down A LOT on them scratching themselves. also, try gently moving his hands away from his eyes when hes grabbing at them. my DD has started learning that she can rub her eyes w/o sticking her finger in them, so im sure your son will too.

i know it hurts to see him doing this to himself, but theres only so much you can do. dont worry too much about the other ppl, its hard to see the cuts unless you are really close & most ppl know that babies do this.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• don't put gloves on because he needs practice on grabing. when you cut nails make shure you get the corners that's how they scratch themselves
    DaryaK

Answer by DaryaK at 11:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• i too would consider filing. it helped me at that age. good luck momma. =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:25 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• What does he need to grab when he's about to go to sleep? I see no reason to put the gloves on at bedtime.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• filing them is the best thing I think you can do at this point. If he is only doing it before bedtime, you can probably put some gloves on him then. But if he is doing it during the day, lightly pull his hands away from his face.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:03 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• try socks because they are longer than mittens.. also your baby might be itching its eyes for a reason. ask your doctor. my daughter did this and its because she had eczema really bad and i didnt know it. cut her nails and file them down.. you can put vaseline on their face at night also so its harder for them to scratch
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2009