Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sister is applying for FaFsa for collage and my dad hasnt done his taxes... what can she do?

My sister is trying to get into a NYS collage and my dad is just not doing his taxes. she has eveything in but his tax information so they cant process her application any further. She did work for i think 2 months and filled taxes on her own. we have tryed to get our dad to do his taxes... and he is just being a jerk. so besides getting him to do them dose anyone know of anything elce she can do?

Answer Question

Asked by JenKT at 10:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 2 (6 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • how old is your sister? once you are 25 i think you can file independently - without parental info. could she use your mom's tax info, if dad is being a jerk? do you have access to your dad's W-2s? if so you can fill out the fasfa based off those, since those are what you use for the taxes?

    other than that, i would try calling the school's financial aid office.

    Answer by aly38914290 at 10:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • Actually when you fill off the Fafsa you don't need the taxes, as the other poster said just the w-2's. And when you fill it out it asks "have you filed" or "will file" and it will ask for an approximation.

    She has to use whoever claims her for tax deduction for fafsa.

    Answer by Praying at 10:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • He is self employed... so i guess his taxes are complicated... he donst just get a W-2 in the mail

    Answer by JenKT at 11:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • How old is your sister? does she have kids? If so she can file on her own. She can use your moms info too, you do NOT have use the info for the person who claims you, just a parent.

    Answer by Chandra034 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • shes 19 and a high school senior. she has no kids. my mom did claim her on her taxes. but she no longer lives wiht her.

    Answer by JenKT at 12:05 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • she doesnt have to live with her to use her tax info.

    Answer by Chandra034 at 12:13 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • she sent in the W2 for my dad and checked will file. But they are saying they need more. and she cant use my moms taxes becuse her and my step dad make to much for her to get into the program she wants to, and they are not going to be paying for any of her schooling. i belive... it is actully in my mom and dads devorce agreement that he is responsible for putting us through school?? thats what my mom has alwaqys told me.

    Answer by JenKT at 12:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • If she needs your dads tax info I do not think she can do anything until then, she needs to speak to a financial advisor at the college.


    Answer by lapcounter at 7:34 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • I would send her to the financial aid office, I just recently went back to school and not that I had the same issue (im 36) but I had no idea what I was doing. The lady in the financial aid office sat with me the entire time and helped me through all the forms. They should be able to tell her something.

    Answer by lookin4deals at 1:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.