Why are you trying to convert me?

I am an atheist. As a general rule, I don't go around trying to convince people that atheism is the truth, ether here on Cafemom or in real life. I generally don't bother with the religious posts unless they bring up atheism or atheists.

My questions are these: Isn't the journey to find God a personal one? Do you really think you are going to change someones faith with a journal post? Do you think that if you tell us over and over again that we are going to hell (which, ironically, I don't believe in either), that I am going to repent and find God? And simply for my own curiosity, why is it only Christians that seem so angry at atheists? (I know not all Christians feel this way, it is a square/rectangle thing.)

Imaginaryfriend

Asked by Imaginaryfriend at 10:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think part of being Christian is trying to "get the word out" about the whole religion and such.

Or something.

I dunno. I'm agnostic. I don't go around screaming at people that being agnostic is the way to go. I don't make journal posts about it and I don't try to "convert" people.

It is kinda funny that the majority of religious journal posts are Christian ones though. Half of them are good, simple posts, the other half are damning all heathens posts.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Oh also, it's hilarious when people tell us we're going to Hell if we don't believe.

That's circular reasoning.

We don't believe in Hell, so how can telling us we'll end up somewhere we don't believe in hurt us or make us scared? Really? Honestly?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• People try to convert you because they think that is their "religious duty" or something. Maybe, just keep your beliefs quietly to yourself.

Personally, I have alot of fun with those people, since I have a minor in Religious Studies, and just spent 5 years studying religion ;)
    Rainbowbrite639

Answer by Rainbowbrite639 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I have had many Christians try to convert me and the funny thing is, I am already Christian. Honestly, I don't understand the mind set of some Christians. I am very open to understanding that people have what they believe in, I learn what other religions are about, and I am very shunned by many people I know because of this and am told often I am "Going to Hell". I can really care less though what people say. They get in this mind set of "I am right, you are wrong" mode and it's pointless to try to talk to them.
    Anonymous

• I think the athiest Penn (of Penn and Teller) made a good point when he said:

I don’t respect people who don’t proselytize I don’t respect that at all. if you believe that there’s a heaven and hell, and people could be going to hell, or not getting eternal life, or whatever, and you think well it’s not really worth telling this because it would be socially awkward…how much do you have to hate someone to believe that everlasting life was possible, and not tell them that?  (You tube link here)

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Have you ever considered that maybe people actually care what happens to your soul? True Christians do and have an obligation to urge you to repent , inform you about the Way of Salvation and warn you of the wrath to come. I am a believer, a follower of Jesus Christ and a Child of God through His sacrificial death. I am not angry at unbelievers, I once was one and therefore my hearts desire is to see lost souls saved before it is too late.
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 10:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Woa...why should any one have to be quiet?
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I assume it is for the same reason why atheist try to convert and convince me there is not God and I worship and invisible lie in the sky. All the time atheist try to convince others there is no God. I guess it is just human nature to talk about what you do and do not believe.
    Anonymous

• Because they don't have anything better to do? I don't believe in any religion, or any god and I have many people (family and friends included) that are constantly asking me what is wrong with me. Just ignore it.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I don't believe that you can argue anyone into my religion. Because then someone else could argue them out. I do believe that it is a personal desicion. I don't think the fear of hell convinces people either. I personally converted because I felt like God was speaking to me that the word of God I was hearing was the truth.

Other people are sincere in their beliefs too. I am not angry at all at athiests. I mean sometimes when someone makes fun of the things I believe in I get hurt, but not too bad. lol. I want the chance sometimes to explain, but I need to realize some people don't want to hear it. lol. I try to learn the difference and lay off if someone isn't open to a discussion. Which I do. But some people do want to hear about Christianity. So I just try and throw it out to people and see who wants to talk.

Is that wrong?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2009