Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm a young Mother and i need HELP! My inlaws pulled a custody battle.(pt.1)

My inlaws played a sneaky trick on me. My husband sent anthony with his father on valentines day while i was getting groceries and when I returned my son was gone. I was livid. But He had reassured me that everything would be ok, that I was getting him back in a day or so. Jerry was going to jail on the 17th. and one of his excuses was that he couldn't bare to say goodbye to his son when he had to turn himself in. so i agreed. On the 17th after jerry turned himself in, I got on the phone trying to get ahold of my inlaws in order to pick up anthony. For 8 days I was unable to reach them and they wouldnt return my call.I was uneasy about it and i left message after message begging that they return my c all. I told them it wasnt ok that since my son had left i had no communication with them. (they live in valley springs and i have no transportation.) I had even threatened with the police.

Answer Question

Asked by hunny_bear at 10:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (23)
  • (although i was sure my son was safe...he was with family, but none the less I was VERY angry about the whole thing.) Finally on the 24th someone answered the phone
    in the evening, it was my husbands grandmother. I asked her where they had been and why wasn't i contacted sooner... she replied "oh, we went to the court house today and got custody of your son." They purposely avoided my call and set up a court date without my knowledge So that way i wouldnt show, and they were awarded temp. gaurdianship untill the 28th of april which is the next court date. they wont let me be alone with him let alone see him. I'm pretty sure jerry had something to do with it.

    Answer by hunny_bear at 11:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • There is a HUGE chunk of the story missing here. When they didn't return your son you needed to call the police. Lawyer up, like yesterday.

    Answer by AudreyJ at 11:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • I cant bare it. I've never been away from him for so long before. I dont have much to speak against my inlaws claims, and they have the best lawyers money can buy, So I went job hunting today to peove to the courts that I am at least going to try to be a good mother.
    I'm really scared. i'm all he has, and he's all I've got...
    I know that all of this is hurting him and I hate it.
    Please if anyone can help me, I could really use the advice. I don't have any help. I want to make sure I'm prepared for that court date. I want my baby.
    Much appreciated....

    Answer by hunny_bear at 11:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • I live an hour away from where my in laws were, And without transportation. I did end up calling the police... but too late. I screwed up. My husband and i arent on the best of terms. He's never really around and had just come to visit before his turn in date.

    Answer by hunny_bear at 11:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • even though he was with family.. they didn't return your should have called the cops.. that's kidnapping.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • There is free legal aid out there and there had to have been some probable cause for the courts to award temporary custody of your son to them. It just doesn't happen on a whim unless it's an emergency hearing with probable cause. My DH and I fought tooth and nail for his son to be taken from his mother and placed in our custody. She was a horrid, irresponsible mother and we had all the proof we needed but the courts still wouldn't allow the change of custody. I spent days researching our schools out here, days researching her, days filling out timelines and it still wasn't enough. She never worked so not having a job isn't probable cause for the courts to take your child. We got custody of him because she was wanting to abandon all her kids to move out of state. We went to the lawyer and had the change of custody done in less than a week. Contact your local department of human services.

    Answer by AudreyJ at 11:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • is there a legal aid in your area. they could help you.

    Answer by Ms.Tamara at 11:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • I went to the San Andreas HRC Legal center, and i spoke with a lawyer.... all he told me was to write a statement of my side of the story then turn it in to the supreme court, and I did


    Answer by hunny_bear at 11:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • well see my husband has a meth addiction, as well as a heroin, a problem that he shares with his father, his family is sick. they claimed they had no way to get ahold of me when i left 3 numbers and they know where i live. They gave them some old number that i had given them like 8 months before and that was there way of informing me of the court date. Her late husband was an engineer(the only) decent one in that family) and she paid 3,500 for a lawyer...


    Answer by hunny_bear at 11:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • My husband has been in and out of mine and my sons life since he was a year old. I have had to live in motels, And other people were taking alot of his responsibility....
    But thats where i screwed up. I relyed on other people, which landed me in a semi-homeless situation.

    Answer by hunny_bear at 11:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.