MY FAMILY WANTS ME TO PUT MY DAUGHTER IN A HOME FOR ATISM

THEY THINK IT WOULD BE BEST SHE HAS NEVER BIN AWAY FROM ME

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Kids' Health

• WTH? Please tell me this isn't serious. I am so sorry! My DH's cousin has autism and his parents would never have thought of putting him in a home. They definitely have made sacrifices but it's worth it!

I don't think a home is the best thing, unless you 100 percent can't care for her. Autistic children aren't burdens, they can be wonderful children to have.

Is this something YOU want? If not, ignore your family. They need to butt out.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• May I ask if you are a young mom.If you are old enough and capable enough to care for him,you tell them to butt out. Your son belongs with you.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 11:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I am soo sorry that they are telling you this. This has to be a decision you make on your own. I do not feel that anyone should be put into a home at all, but some have been. What you need to ask yourself, since this is your decision, is can you deal with him away from you If that answer is no, you know what you need to do!!! Good luck and my thougths are with you!
    Tayandstevenmom

Answer by Tayandstevenmom at 8:22 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Why would you put your daughter in a home because of autism? That is crazy. She is your child and you shouldn't give up on her or listen to your idiotic family (sorry no offense). There are plenty of avenues and resources that can help you work with your child and cope with her diagnosis. Autistic kids are just like any other kid...they have feelings,they are smart, they are loving,etc...they just have a special need but that doesn't make them any less important than another child. That is your daughter and you brought her into this world....DO NOT GIVE UP ON HER.....love her and accept her and DO NOT PUT HER IN A HOME. Nobody can love that baby like you can...you are her mother and she needs you!
    sweetnsassymami

Answer by sweetnsassymami at 7:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Why would you put her in a home? She is your daughter and she needs to be with you, do NOT do it. She is your daughter and you need to do what you feel is best for her and for you. She needs your love and she could live a great life NOT in a home. Your family sounds pretty cruel, parents don't give up on their kids because they aren't perfect. My son's friend is Autistic and he is one of the sweetest, smartest kids I know. It's not easy to raise him but the parents do so with love and open minds. There are a lot of resources and help for you to raise her in your home. Do whatever you need to to keep her at home.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I know autism can be hard but we live in a day and age where disability no longer relieves us of our responsibility as parents. I'm guessing you may be young based on your question and rely on your families support? Please go to websites like autism society of America and have your family talk to a school to learn information about autism. Many people with autism actually have an excellent outcome with therapy. My own brother has severe autism and enjoys friends, a social life, goes to a regular school, and is a wonderful addition to our family. Yes your child may always be different but with therapy autism can have so truly awesome outcomes.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 11:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• By the way, this may be a situation where you need to stand alone without family support. No matter how old you are your family can't legally make you do anything with your daughter. If you need to support yourself, call your state department of family services or social services and ask them how they can help you get the health care and necessities your need for you and your daughter. You can probably find their number on the Internet.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 11:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Don't put her in a home. She is your daughter and she deserves to be with you. My aunt went into a home at age 19 b/c my grandfather had died and my grandma had to go to work to help support her other 4 children. Even still she comes back to grandma's nearly every weekend and my aunt has cerebal palsy as well as being microsifalic (sp) and she cn no longer walk and has never been able to ttalk. Even though she is now 45 she is still so happy when she gets to be home with her mom. No child needs to be put in a home. If you can't handle raising her it would be better to place her for adoption. I know one of the women that lives with my aunt was put in the home as an infact when they found out she has downs syndrome. It is not a great place to grow up.
    Anonymous

• Your parents or your spouse? My son has autism, hes 8. Let me encourage you that our children are so VERY special! My son is the light of my life! I love to take him to the park where we can just run and play! He loves to go to the movies and play on the swingset in our back yard. He has never spoken a word, he gags when he sees any fruit. Hes so loud at the theatre, but thats Ok He is who he is and I love him just the way he is! I dont know enough about your situation but I want to encourage you to enjoy your daughter the way she is and dont be upset about the dreams that will never come to pass, but be happy with her now. My dad says all the time that knowing Michael has changed his heart forever. My entire family will either accept my child the way he is or not but he will never be without my love and acceptance. You can message me if you want to.Please keep me posted on what you decide. Id love to hear from you.
    JenniferDeegan

Answer by JenniferDeegan at 1:23 AM on Apr. 16, 2009