How do you get a toddler to drink milk?

My son is 2 1/2 years old, and won't drink milk. He likes cheese, yogurt, ice cream, cream cheese and other milk products, but hates it when I give him milk. I've tried to set an example by drinking milk when I give it to him. Lately I just haven't tried at all, but I do try and make sure he eats some sort of dairy food. Any suggestions? Should I keep trying and maybe one day he will like it?

LittleMewKT

Asked by LittleMewKT at 11:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I hate to say this, but maybe you should try chocolate milk. Mix your own and start out with the least amount of chocolate.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Why do you want him to drink milk so badly? He does not need to drink milk. If you want him to get the calcium and protein from milk he can get that in the cheese, yogurt etc.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Try Carnation Instant Breakfast mixed in. It's delicious and very nutritious. Doc recommended it for my picky eaters. :)
    T.
    TheresaMomof9

Answer by TheresaMomof9 at 11:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Whole Milk is VERY important for young kids to drink actually. It helps their brain, bones, and bodies in general.

We use Ovaltine powder and yes even Hershey's Syrup sometimes. But I'd rather give him the chocolate and know he's drinking the milk then him not drink it at all.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 11:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My daughter likes Charlie and Lola and Lola always drinks pink milk. So I made her pink milk and now she thinks it's the best. She drinks it right down. One drop of food coloring and I have pink milk!
    Anonymous

• Dont make him drink it. I dont like milk either, ewww. There are lots of other great sources of calcium and omega 3 fatty acids.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• If he's eating calcium rich foods already then there's no need for milk.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:26 AM on Mar. 23, 2009