My toddler..

Fills up on Milk. Shes 18 months old. She won't eat her food very good and just wants milk all the time. Most of the time she refuses to drink anything but milk! She'll fuss till I let her down from the chair, and fuss "ba ba" until I give her a bottle of milk so she can down it.. lol.. This can't be at all healthy for her can it?

MJ_BN_FE

Asked by MJ_BN_FE at 11:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stop giving it to her all of the time. She is old enough to throw a fit if she doesn't get it. Allowing her to continue this way will just cause more problems down the line. And, like you said, she is not eating and therefore not getting other nutrients she needs because of it. You need to take a stand mama, you can do it.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I would stop giving her a bottle too. That may be what she is wanting not just the milk.
    Anonymous

• She will very likely get anemic if she gets most of her calories from milk. They call it "milk anemia". Ask your doctor how many ounces of milk she can have a day and stick to it.

From http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/toddler-foods.html#cowmilk
    "It's best to limit the amount of cow's milk that your child receives to 2-3 cups (16-24 ounces) per day, since too much cow's milk in a child's diet can put him at risk for iron-deficiency anemia (because milk can interfere with the absorption of iron) and may decrease the child's desire for other foods. "
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:17 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Oh no.. she has a lot MORE than 2-3 cups a day... I never knew it would hurt her to drink it.. just not to eat her food... My other two kids took to food right away so it was never an issue.. she just seems to love her milk..
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 11:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• When it's meal time give her water. Don't give her milk until she's done eating. She'll fight ya', but you have to be prepared to "fight" her back.
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 11:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• The calcium in milk can cause anemia, it prohibits iron absorption. She only needs to be having about 16oz/day. My son is the same way though, he would drink milk all day if I would let him. Stop giving it to her. She isnt eating other food because she is filling up on the milk. She is missing out on a lot of important nutrients. Yeah, she'll cry. Shell get over it.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My dd is borderline anemic and her dr said no more than 24 oz of milk a day max. (She is not anemic from too much milk but they're right - the calcium in milk can cause anemia). I would take away the bottle - sippy cup or cup and straw only. She's old enough to be a big girl. And you have to take a stand. Start serving milk or water in a cup with meals only...and then milk before bedtime. Other than bedtime - no milk without a meal or snack. That will help your dd associate her drink with her meal and it will make it easier to wean her from drinking all the time.

Good luck!
    Val1313

Answer by Val1313 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Honestly these answers make me sad.. as Much as I know they are true.... My baby is really attached to her bottle. and I forced my oldest daughter off the bottle at 8 months old, and I still feel guilty for it. I've been making her cut back on the milk, but just putting juice or that flavored water for toddlers (in the baby section). She's seems to be doing ok, But she sucks that down in a matter of minutes as well... She's not a happy girl without her bottle every minute shes awake.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 5:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2009