• In the Spotlight:

How do you remove viruses from your computer? yourself

i took it to geek squad and they wanted 200.00!!
is there anyway to do it myself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• You'll need to get a portable hard-drive and back up your computer's files. (Good to have, anyway!)
    Once you have done that, you'll need a scrubber disk that will erase your hard drive entirely.(Ask for them at BestBuy, etc.)
    Then you'll need to reinstall all your programs...these discs come with your computer.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• You can try downloading an anti virus protector. AVG is free, just go to AVG.com. I use this and it works very well.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Oh, I forgot. Make sure you have McAfee installed on your computer. It will really help.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• http://www.homenetworkhelp.info/index.php?pg=articles-detect-remove-trojan-horse&mn=a

I also use AVG
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 6:19 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• We have had several viruses in our computer lately and we had McAfee installed and it would get rid of some of the viruses. My husband had our files and hard drive backed up. We went to Sams Club and bought an 80.00 Norton 2.0 and that has helped ALOT! The difference I believe is that the Norton gets rid of the viruses that are there when the computer is loading. McAfee seemed to only be getting the viruses that were in files and such once the computer was loaded.
    Also, I have been warned that there are some super viruses going around on facebook and youtube so be careful!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Gaah I'm not sure how to do it. My fiance is a computer science, information technology major. He does not recommend Norton it slows down your PC. We have Avast and it is free and I have never had a virus on the computer. I know he has taken viruses off of my sisters, my friends, and my mom's computer.
    He wouldn't talk to the geek squad either. He has before just cause and here they are not very helpful. They like staples always seem to have to send it out to get it fixed.

You can put all of your files on cd. You should be doing that once a month anyways. It is cheaper than getting a hard drive. But if you really want a hard drive you can check out geeks.com amd newegg They are cheaper than going tio best buy to get one and there is telling of they actually have one.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 11:02 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• What anti virus software do you have on your computer? McAfee, Norton? Often your Internet provider will offer free security software. So check on their website first. You can also get free security software on cnet.com.
    Once you have the software program installed run a complete scan. I also recommend Spybot. It prevents and eliminates spyware. Often the cause of viruses. I would do this before erasing your hard drive. Because you will be on here asking how to re-install your data. I do agree with making a backup data disk however.
    On my other computer I had several viruses and even a trojan when the security software was accidently turned off. I got rid of them myself.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 5:53 AM on Mar. 24, 2009