Does anyone have hard feelings on Accelerated Math?

I would like to find some parents that have children doing Acclerated Math. And your opinion on it.

daisymae80

Asked by daisymae80 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I hate to ask, is this as bad a Ebonics were a while ago? I have a two year old and don't want them monkeying around with good, old fashioned tried-and-true education!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Yes it is!! It's terrible!! Around here it's all abou numbers...not the children. It's very sad. Thanks
    daisymae80

Answer by daisymae80 at 2:30 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• my 9 year old is in a program at school for kids with exceptional math scores, he seems to love it, once a week he gets pulled out of class and the kids meet with a math teacher from the junior high, they work on problems and talk through them, it makes him think before speaking, it has taught him how to break down a math problem and solve it and how to think outside the box. As long as his grades do not suffer and he enjoys being a part of it, I encourage him to stay with it. I am back in college and my 11 year old helps me with my college algebra, how sad is that. lol
    lookin4deals

Answer by lookin4deals at 1:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Don't even know what Accelerated Math is. I do know that I hate the way my son was taught math in elementary school, it makes no sense whatsoever. It had too many steps just to do basic math. Drove me crazy and I couldn't help him. It was so bad that the district had to have a class for parents so they knew how to help their kids.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Well all the students have to participate in this program. They have no choice. It's very stressful for me and my son. He does not understand it at all and he gets no help from his teacher. They are all about scores and thats all. They are competing against each other around here. It's so sad...parents need to stand up for there childs rights.
    daisymae80

Answer by daisymae80 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I agree with Tyfry7496...before my son started school, he could add in his head quite well. He learned on his own. In first grade, however, that all fell apart. He was taught something called "doubles, plus one" So, the answer to 12+13..is 12+12+1=25. That, paired with the whole tap the dots on the number crap really screwed him up with math. He hasn't recovered and he is in 7th grade now.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:11 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• What happened to the ole fashion way of teaching in school...I know the times have changed, but my goodness...there are screwing up the kids. They are discouraging kids from learning ad making them HATE school!!!
    daisymae80

Answer by daisymae80 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• The math my kids do in grades 4 and 5 I never had to do when I was in school. Sometimes I end up writing the teacher a note saying I couldnt help him on his homework because I dont know how to do it. Why cant they just keep it the same as it was. Seems like they are trying to make geniuses and everyone is not meant to be one. Its really screwed up.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 8:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I totally agree with heavenlypeace...Some kids excel in different subjects and they need to recognize this...but tey don't. It's really sad!!!
    daisymae80

Answer by daisymae80 at 10:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Accelerated Math is supposed to help children, but instead it can discourage them and cause them to hate math. I agree with the others that the way they teach math these days sucks. I can't even help my children with their homework and I was a straight A student. They put so much pressure on kids and they have to meet a certain number of objectives to move forward.
    huffmanall4

Answer by huffmanall4 at 8:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2009