When I say,"NO" to my 14 month old she bends down and bangs her head on the ground????? HELP!! What the heck??!!

Kori219

Asked by Kori219 at 11:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OH, YEAH!!!! Been there......

It's a frustration thing she is expressing. Just pick her up and say, "You're frustrated!" hug her, and move her on to something else. Our son grew out of this after a few months.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• my son kind of does somthing similair, i used to pat him on the butt for being bad, but i dont any longer, i use other techniques, but now when i say no to him, he will spank himself. do you spank her sometimes? i dont want to say spank becuz not like that, but do you lightly pat her bottom? i dont know, you realy need to ask her pediatrican tomorrow, they can give you the best answer. she doesnt have any mental disabilities does she>'
    ;
    MickeysMom19

Answer by MickeysMom19 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• ok, she has a good answer, that could definatly be it!
    MickeysMom19

Answer by MickeysMom19 at 11:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• my 19 month old pulls her own hair everytime i tell her "no" or raise my voice to her. the doctor said it was a phase and to not make a big deal out of it or it becomes an attention getter.
    lilredsfrm67

Answer by lilredsfrm67 at 11:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• as long as she's not hurting herself, just ignore it.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• It's a temper tantrum. If it bothers you buy her a helmet. Otherwise she will be just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Yep, Children at this age can not express how they feel or control that anger and frustration for not getting what they want, Unfortunatly that is a horrible way for her to express it, and i can imagine terrifying for you, You don't want to give into her, but at the same time you don't want her to cause any damage, when you tell her no about something and she does it , take her somewhere to through her fit where she can't do that, A bed or something where when she does it she can't get hurt, DOn't raise your voice or acknowledge the fact that she is throwing a fit, this will only show her that it means something to do it, Just ignore her when she realizes you aren't giving in she will try something new, Stay strong, thankfully like the other said it is just a phase she will move on shortly, Good luck, I know that has to be aggravating as heck.
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 1:05 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• yea my kid likes to throw her head backwards if she' s mad..no matter if theirs a wall their...a bckless chair and she flies off..a floor..it doesnt matter. then of course she cries and im supposed to make her feel better but in the same..that means she gets out of punishment/time out. i expect it now so i catch her before she makes ocntact and put her in her timeout spot....her timeout spot is the corner of our couch..so she can bang her head all she wants but she stops, not allowed out of timeout until she calms down and says sorry
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 8:52 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My oldest did the same thing. I would often just make sure he was in a safe spot. He would sometimes go on hitting his head for some time. I would then pick him up and place him in his crib. He would often just go to sleep. Mine out grew this in a couple of months. I would mention this to your pediatrician. Sometimes it could mean other things.

momfourboys

Answer by momfourboys at 1:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2009