3 year old terror!

Ok. My son just turned 3 on Feb 25th. He is seriously out of control. He throws hissy fits and does not listen to a thing I tell him. I have to leave him with his mawmaw or dad when i go to town because of the way he acts in public. I also am having a horrible time potty training him. He was still a baby when I had my set of twins. Do you think they may be the cause of his behavior problems? He told me the other night he wanted to be a baby like brother. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like maybe he could use some quality time with mom and dad. He may be feeling left out, like he doesn't get as much attention has the twins. As far as the acting up, we've gotten pretty serious with the time out lately. If your consistent and you Always so what you say you will it works pretty well. Time out works for us at home, sometimes just threatening to send him to time out is enough to make him mind. We're still working on a solution for public outbursts. Alot of the time just taking his tv out of the car works. Good luck!
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 12:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Make sure he knows that throwing tantrums is not going to get him any attention by ignoring him when he does it. I used to tell my kids that they had to stop flipping out in order for me to be able to understand what they were saying. So i would send them to a quiet place for them to calm down and come out as soon as they are calm. Then make sure he gets lots of praise for calming down and communicating effectively. My boys have said that they wanna be babies again and so i grab them and hold them like babies and playfully rock them and use babytalk. Then they just feel silly and get over it. I also tell them all the cool things they can do because they are older. I used to tell them how boring it is to be a baby because they cant do anything except eat, poop, and sleep.
    ericadrian

Answer by ericadrian at 5:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My son is 3. And he acts the same very much. It's just the age. Just be consistent in your punishent with him, and it will soon pass. I have 3 girls that are older, 11, 7, 5,and they say terrible 2's, but each age has it's own ups and downs. They are testing the waters. Be firm, be consistent, be loving. I noticed, with my son, when he is throwing one of his screaming tantrums, what helps, I crouch down, look him right in the eyes, talk to him in a tone a little above a whisper (this way he has to quiet down to hear me) and i ask him to please stop acting this way...AND YA KNOW WHAT, IT WORKS!!!! I just keep talking to him about how good boys act. Hope this helps=)
    elie_1234

Answer by elie_1234 at 6:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2009