Just wondering what other moms thought about names and the history behind them?

My husband and me are having our first child this june who will be a beautiful baby girl. the name debate is ever increasing in importance. Just over a year ago my husbands only sister who was only two years older than him pasted away from cancer and he thought the world over her. The question is we have thought about naming our little girl after his sister but are reluctant due to the fact it was and will always be his sister. He says it would continue her legacy since hers was cut so short but at the same time he worries about his parents and the possible expecations that may arise from this.... this is just hard and would like to get some opinions that may shed a different light on it.. Just putting it out there.....

kaylan010

Asked by kaylan010 at 12:17 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• Could you honor her memory by using the first letter of her first name for your little one?
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:18 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I dont think that when you name a child after someone that they are expected to be just like that person. I think it honors them and their memory but thats as far as it goes.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:20 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• use her name for babys middle name maybe, if it is too much for you just say no it is your child.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:21 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• You could always talk to his family about it first and see what they think about it. If they arent comfortable with it dont use it. They may love the idea or they may not. You could also use it as a middle name.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• to honor my SO father, our sons middle name is after his father you dont necessarily have to have her first name try honoring her in her middle name
    breebers

Answer by breebers at 8:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2009