My husband is so depressed, he is overweight and has a handicap, how can I start him getting interested in life and his kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Health

• This is kind of a tough question without any details about his abilities, but I agree with the first reply, in that sometimes you DO need a little help getting out of a depression. I finally agreed to see my OB last month, and was started on a very low dose antidepressant, and I am very glad I did. I have several health problems, including chronic pain, which were making it hard to get through my day. The antidepressant doesn't make me feel happy, but I feel like I can cope with life much better now.

That being said, is there some activity or interest that your husband is passionate about (sports, art, music, etc.)? Maybe you can try to get the family together to do something that he really likes. Try to keep friends and family close, and visiting often so that he does not feel isolated. See if you can talk him into joining you for a short walk (if possible). Good luck, I hope you can find something to do together soon!
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 1:34 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• He might need some counseling. I would suggest he start with discussing this with his Dr. and then see what he suggests from there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It's very hard to get men involved in things when they have a disability that prevents or limits thier activity. That being said,the bottom line is unless he is motivated and wants to do it for himself,you cant make him. Not to sound harsh,but,they have to want to do it. You can discuss it with him forever using the family as a reason,but,he has to want to move a bit. I do agree though that if you could get him interested in some sort of groups(does he keep up with former classmates,is he into sports or history or ??alot of times you can find local organizations that are specific to the interest)
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 6:11 AM on Mar. 23, 2009