Do you get just so fed up you have to leave the room?

My 2 year old can drive me insane. He is super stong willed and when he doesn't get his way sometimes he will freak out and scream and fall on the floor and roll around till he hits something. Well I spank him and correct him and make him stop but sometimes it takes a good 10 mins for him to calm down. In that 10 mins (esp in public) I could just go crazy. I often times have to set him down and take a deep breath and try to keep from throtteling him. At home I go to another room and calm down or else I think I'm gonna beat him half to death(not really, thats just an expression don't freak out)

Do you get this fed up? or an I the only one.

And please no bashing. Just want to know if anyone else gets like this.

lstrickland

Asked by lstrickland at 12:36 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• things save it for worst case nothing else is working. Putting yourself in time out is a woderful thing if you feel to over welmed it is always good to remove yourself from the situation for 5 or 10 mins what ever it takes. Then you return to the sit anewed and it helps keep you from losing your cool. Every mother feel this way from time to time it's normal and does not make you in any way shape or form inadiquite. Good luck sweetie they do cal it terrible 2's for a reason. As for the rude anon. If you can't give helpful advice or use constructive critisism then why are you on a site for helping other mothers do you really thinking you are helping. That was rude and uncalled for you could've been nicer and not attacking people. Why don't you not talk here, because all your goal is to make people feel bad. Let go of your whole I'm better than you attitude and return from fantisy land ok.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I know the feeling. When it gets that bad for me I get daddy to take over and I go outside for a cigarette.
    TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 12:38 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• as long as a child having a tantrum isn't endangering himself/others, it is best to ignore them- leave the room. (but don't look/act frustrated)

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:39 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i feel like that too
    lmaines22

Answer by lmaines22 at 12:39 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I get a little frustrated at times, but I don't ever resort to spanking a 2 year old-that's just going to make his behavior worse.
    i guess I knew what I was getting into before I committed to having a child, so maybe that makes it easier for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• they act like that usually when their tired.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• When my daughter gets like that, I tell her to go to her room until she is ready to be nice & say sorry. So, I guess it is the same, just I am too lazy to leave the room. lol
    Rainbowbrite639

Answer by Rainbowbrite639 at 12:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• continue to use patience read the Bible a little every day!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:43 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I felt like this just today. I changed his diaper (he's two, also) and put him in his crib for some "quiet time". I flopped on the sofa and watched a half hour of HGTV. If your little one isn't in a crib, I suggest getting the door knob with the lock mechanism turned around so it's on the outside of his room and lock him in to play for awhile.  Of course, his room needs to be baby-proofed and it's nice to give him a sippy cup with water and a snack of cheerios, etc. while you're gone.

*hugs*  My dad used to have a plack on his desk at home that read, "Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids."  I didn't understand it until I was a mommy! frustrated

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My son is only 14 months and he will sometimes freak out and scream if he doesn't get his way. And yes, I think it's normal for moms to feel like they have to leave the room sometimes or they will lose it. But I try to remember...he's never going to learn how to handle his frustrations calmly if I don't give him the example, so I try very hard to remain calm and then I will put him in his crib or to watch a video and give myself a few minutes alone to vent. Personally, I don't believe in spanking. I believe it teaches them to handle their frustrations with violence. But if that's what you believe, you should make sure you are not spanking him out of frustration or anger. But,I think it's a very healthy decision to leave the room to gather your composure.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 12:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2009