breastfeeding AND formula?

Is it bad to feed my 1 month old son formula sometimes, and breastmilk the rest of the time? Pretty much 50/50.

He is eating so much right now, that I just can't keep up with milk. AND I'm trying to be able to store my milk as well.

Is it okay to do this? Or should I stick to just one?

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 12:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The 50/50 mix will diminsih your supply. Supply always follows demand...the more you leave him at the breast, the more milk you will make. Every bottle deprives your body of the signal to make milk, and your supply will drop.

Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms Group...we can help you better over there.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I'm still going to be pumping when Daddy is feeding him the formula bottle.
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 12:51 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i think that is completely fine. i pumped and stored and fed mine formula the rest of the time and he is now a healthy two almost three year old. it wont hurt him by ANY means. any breast feeding you do i GREAT for your child. if you are more comfortable doing it the way you are now, then go for it. he is still getting the nutrients he needs plus some, because you are using both. i only breastfed for about a month and a half because my milk kept coming and going and it was just too much of a hassle. but i did both up until that point. good luck and congrats on the new baby =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 1:01 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• "'m still going to be pumping when Daddy is feeding him the formula bottle."

The pump doesn't work NEARLY as well as the baby. Try this instead...pump one side while nurisng the other. No bottles, please...keep baby on the breast.

I'm not saying formula will hurt your baby...jury's still out on that one. But it WILL hurt your supply. I've seen it far too many times.

What are your symptoms of a low supply? The ONLY thing that matters is the number of dipes you change. NOTHING ELSE COUNTS.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:10 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i think it is fine to do both. of course breast is best, but it also important to let dad, as you said, be part of the process. I know there are plenty of other ways for dad to be involved, but if he wants to feed and feels like hes being left out in that way that is also important. but do keep in mind that pumping gets old fast and though well meaning, it could hurt your supply... but if you always feed half and half you should always have enough milk to do so. just stick to the same routine and all should be fine.
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 3:18 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I am so freaking sick of "breast nazi's". Everyone I grew up with was bottlefed! I was bottlefed and I can take care of People with the flu and not catch it! I haven't had a cold in 7 years! Most people I come across don't breastfeed! Some Women DO exclusively pump! Some Women do supplement! It is okay! Do what is right for you! I agree with the "as long as the baby is getting breast milk " above. At least you are trying! Some Women ( whether they latch baby on or NOT) can not get a "healthy" supply! Do to different factors. Keep on trying but do what is best for YOU and the baby!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Listen to qdiamante. Mommykati said it was fine but her supply was off. "i only breastfed for about a month and a half because my milk kept coming and going". I dont think that is you goal.
    The technique of nursing on a breast then pumping will get your supply up better that subing formula. Plus baby gets more nutrients that way.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:35 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I would nurse more frequently. Supplementing might fill your baby up, but it doesn't help your supply-pumping does somewhat, but not nearly as much as your baby nursing.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:13 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It's ok to do, but as previously mentioned, can have damaging effects on your supply.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:02 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I did both (breastfeeding and formula bottles) with my younger two kids. Not 50/50, though, but they had 1 or 2 bottle feeds a day as I was working evenings and even though breastfeeding itself went great- pumping never worked for me. I never lost supply and went to 9.5 months with my daughter (only stopped b/c I was pregnant and cramping when I'd nurse) and 13 months with my son (when he weaned himself).
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 10:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2009