Tax question

My husband filed his taxes online. I didn't have a job, nor have I ever, so I have never filed taxes. I assumed that he had filed jointly, but he didn't file for me at all, because I had no income. Should he have filed jointly, or does it not matter? Thanks.

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 1:25 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• He should have included you on his taxes. If he filed single then he is paying a higher tax as singles do pay higher them married. He prob lost money by not including you
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:27 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• He filed as married, just separately.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:30 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I know ronjwake is right. We made that mistake when we were first married. It probably did cost him more. Good news is you can refile.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:31 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Still, he should file jointly. It will be cheaper.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• He should most definately file jointly. As the above poster said, I am sure he paid more in taxes by bot adding you.
    This came as a hot topic last year when they sent out stimulus checks.
    Those who didn't file a spouse because the spouse didn't work- the government didn't send that extra $300 for that person. They had no way of knowing that person was in the household.
    That's why a lot of people on disablility that normally would not file taxes- went and filed so the government "knew" about them and could send their money.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:33 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Well that's what confuses me. We just got married during this last year, so he included that information in the taxes, and we got the other half of the stimulus check with our tax return. So however it worked out, they "knew" about me. I guess more importantly, I'm not in trouble or anything for not filing, because I had no income, right? (I'm not just a bum BTW, I was a full time college student, graduated, and then got married a week later, then we moved from MI to SC then to WA all within the year... I work now, but just got my job.) It only comes up now because my DD is from a previous relationship and I'm dealing with some child support issues, and the courts want a copy of my income tax return.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:39 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• He should have TOTALLY included you as a dependant!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:05 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• you get more back from filing jointly than seperatly, and you can get a tuition credit if you go to school.
    mudgirl

Answer by mudgirl at 2:33 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• He should have done married filing jointly it changes a few things and gets you more back. When you file seperately it is assuming that you have some kind of income instead of filing as a couple with only one person in the household working. Someone else was right when they said that you should also gets a form from school I don't remember what it is but it is claimed on your taxes. You will also kind of need to know if your lo's Dad claimed her or not, although he should not have, if he indeed didn't then you should claim her and get a little more back. Even without an income you are still taking care of your lo and that should be figured into the equation. So I think that yes he should have claimed you and two dependents. But since he is not her father I am not sure how that works out. Okay I am babbling just trying to think as I type.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2009