MY DAUGHTER IS 13 QND STAYS ON THE PHONE ALL DAY LONG .WHAT SHOULD I DO AND THINK SHE HAS A BOYFRIEND

IM A SINGLE PARENT AND SCARED

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Talk to her! That's MOST important.

Is her telephone usage causing a family problem? If so, set some limits, but work with her on what those limits should be.

Is her schoolwork suffering? If so, then she needs to be cut off from the phone till her grades go back up.

Are you concerned that she might be sexually active? Has she been through sex education yet? Now's the time if it hasn't happened already.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• When I was that age that was all I did also. I know you are scared, but you have to trust that you raised her well enough to make her own decisions and to make then wisely.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Wait, You THINK? You are the adult, you are the parent. You are supporting her butt. Stand up, unplug the phone, knock her butt into a chair and talk to her. What are you waiting for, a pregnancy? DO IT NOW. It's time to take responsibility.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Sounds pretty normal to me. What are you so worried about?
    If she is misusing her phone privilage then have a talk to her.
    When my son was 13, he lived on the phone- I didn't think boys liked the phone as much as girls but my son proved me wrong.
    Having a b/f at 13 is pretty normal for girls that age. I am talking about school boyfriends- not dating or going to eachother's house. Unless she gives you a reason to worry- it all sounds pretty innocent.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Shouldnt she be in school all day long?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I agree with gdiamante - be sure it isn't negatively affecting other aspects of her life. And as a general approach, I'd still try to put some limits so it doesn't get out of hand. (I don't think you can possiblity expect them to not to forget about their school work if they spend hours on the phone or PC).

For sure, I'd try to discuss calmly who she is talking to and what is going on. Sometimes it might just be a girlfriend, who may even have a boyfriend or some other story to tell. But either way, its a good time to open a discusion on setting limits and priorities, and perhaps relationships.

And above all... don't panic. You are going to need to remain zen for the coming years!
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 3:20 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Now would be the time to open up the line of communication about the boyfriend issue. It isnt something I think you should freak over, most 13 yo relationships are just holding hands at school and such, but you need to start out having an open dialogu now so you know better when things start evolving in the future. Good luck, but the phone thing sounds normal to me, maybe limit time like other posts have said.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:05 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• she probably does have a boyfriend. I wouldnt try to stop that. its part of maturing and learning from mistakes. just watch how old the guy is. I got with my boyfriend at 12 and we are engaged and moving away now years later. It isnt always nothing. And every teenage girl stays on the phone all day. I used to talk on my cell phone for 5-9 hours a night sometimes I didnt even sleep. I learned it was stupid. she will too. we all go through it, my little brother is right now. its nothing more than annoying!
    good luck and turn the ringer down or off if it gets too annoying!
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Um...YOU'RE the parent! If you don't want her talking on the phone so much then set limits. If she doesn't abide by those limits, then take the phone away completely.
    moneysaver6

Answer by moneysaver6 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My 13 year has a phone glued to her ear all day as well. It's my weapon of choice when I ground her from something. lol She's also a vidiot on the weekends. SHE"S 13! I did it too, I don't know anyone who didn't act that way. I'm at the stage with mine who's only in a good mood when there's a cute boy around. She's confined though, school, after school activities, occasioally I let her go skating, and home. So the phone is her only social life. What you gotta do is be there to listen to her and be suttle when trying to get info. on her life or she'll clam up and never tell you anything.
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2009