I want to know when I ask my 3 kids to do some thing they don't do it they just look at me and walk a way.

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• Discipline should depend on their ages. If it was one of my older kids (13 & 9) then I would take away their privileges (tv, video games, outside) or writing assignments (explain why that behavior is unacceptable). If it was my 2 year old, time-out for 2 minutes really seems to work. The most important thing to remember with time-out though...SUPERNANNY!! Do not have any conversation with the child, and when it's done they have to tell you why they were on time-out and apologize. Then regardless of the age, they need to comply with the original request and do what they are told.

Answer by ebannon1973 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Kids make choices, if they don't do what you ask them to do there has to be consquences (sp?) if there isn't they will never listen!! Take away everything but food and water and trust me, they will listen!!

Answer by mars33me at 10:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• You're not reinforcing it enough...and sometimes it shouldn't be posed as a question. If you say "do you want to take the trash out for me?" it is a choice and they may (probably) say no. I learned this with my daughter, She wasn't being rude, she thought she had a choice and answered honestly. If you are stating it as a command "Susie, take out the trash" and they still don't then you need to reinforce it. Reinstate it firmer and if they still do not, discipline needs to occur.

Answer by seakla at 2:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2008