I have a major decision to make, keep my daycare open, or go back to work? no one is paying me???!!! tammy

I have a 4 year old, so I opened an at home daycare, with licenses and all! I mostly work for single moms who get help to pay me, then they don't do their paper work so I don't get my paycheck! they give me very little on the bill and I have bills to pay! I am so upset! I went out and put apps for jobs, but I love the kids I care for! 1 I have been taking care of since she was 2weeks old, and shes 14 months now!

Tammyjean341

Asked by Tammyjean341 at 2:13 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Why not start charging for daycare?
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 2:14 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I would tell the moms they have to start making their payment, give them 2 weeks. If they don't, tell them they have 2 weeks to find someone else, and meanwhile put out ads for openings. You should still be able to get kids into the slots, and probably by people who will pay.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:52 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I don't think you would have any trouble filling open slots. My kids went to an in home daycare, and it was the best place they went. If it was me, I would tell the moms who are behind they have X days/weeks to pay up what they owe, and if they don't, then they have 2 weeks to find someone else to care for their child. Then, from that point on, with them and with any new kids, I'd require payment for the week on the Friday before, no later than Monday afternoon, and they get one time to not pay. After that, they are gone. I know it sounds harsh, but they are taking advantage of you and harsh may be the only way to get them to stop. As you say, you have bills to pay. They should understand that, since they do too. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:54 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• tell them the free ride is over. You have to make a living alos and if they don't pay you a specific amount (you can make up contracts that yes are legally binding) then you will be forced to terminate your services.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I would tell them to do their paperwork and pay you or find someone else. They know you are a push over so they don't bother. I would not work for free. When I did home daycare the family I babysat for tried to screw me over. I gave them three warning letters and finally was not home when they came to drop their child off. They were only a week behind. I spent my day caring for their kids and was not going to do it for free. They were mad and took me to small claims court since they missed days at work. They lost and had to pay me for the week plus two weeks per our agreement. I would not let them walk all over you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Enforce a new policy where they have to pay you up front like for the week. Other wise people will take advantage of you. And i fyou are like me, you let them because you care for the kids. But bottom line is you have a family to support and bills to pay too. If they are not going to pay you, then put out an add to take in other kids. ANywhere they go they will have to pay, aso they need to pay you. Other places aren't so leanient. If all else fails and you have no choice, then you can go back to work, or if you get an opportunity you can't pass up. Remember do not feel bad. You have to support Your family first.
    Anonymous

• I agree. Start advertising your company more. Plenty of moms are looking for somewhere to take their children. Im sure you can find kids to fill the open spots in the case that you have to get rid of the children you have. I know it is sad to have to lose the children you may have formed a bond with but remember that business is business and your bills have to be paid. Maybe you can try being a little stricter with the moms and enforcing some consequences and rules. Good luck.
    OmarisMommy08

Answer by OmarisMommy08 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Keep your daycare open, and require payment in advance for the week. No pay=no childcare. It may sound harsh, but you're trying to run a business for pete's sake. Be a really nice, caring, charitable person in your personal life, but in your business life, you gotta stick to your guns or people will walk all over you, believe me. I run a small business and have learned the hard way. Things are much better now that I have created strict policies about payment being DUE AT THE TIME OF SERVICE (no, we will not bill you later). You gotta do what you gotta do to make sure you are paid for the services your are providing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I am a SAHM that does daycare also. You have to separate yourself from the parents. I feel that business is business and friends is friends. I'm not here to make friends and be nice. I need to help support my family. I explain upfront that this is my job and it pays my bills. If they can't pay me on time then I don't watch their kids. Even if I love their kids to death, I can't do it. If they pull their kids, then they pull their kids. You will find other ones to love just as much. I am speaking from experience. You have to treat it like a business. You aren't in it to lose money. I don't accept CCMS (Texas's version of childcare help) just because it is too much work you have to deal with. I have only had 1 parent miss a payment. I was trying to help them out and start them cheaper. Supposed to be a step rate deal, but when I went up they bailed. Glad they did b/c I have a sweet little girl whose parents pay now.
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 7:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Do you have a contract that each parent signs when they begin care with you? Does it specify when payment is due? Mine says if payment is not paid BY FRIDAY (it's due Monday) then a $15 late fee is immediately assessed and a $10 charge for each day it is not here is charged each day until it is paid. If it's not paid by the following Tuesday I will not watch their child. You have to be firm so you don't get taken advantage of.
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 7:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2009