Does anyone have any ideas for creative first birthday themes?

I want to do something creative for my daughter's first birthday. A couple of guidelines I have are: 1) I don't want to do anything having to do with known characters (like pooh or dora or whatever). 2)Not super girly (like princess) All ideas appreciated!

redmamaof3girls

Asked by redmamaof3girls at 2:30 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am doing abby cadabby from sesame street... not too many people know about her but she is super cute!
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 2:31 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My daughter's birthday is right around Easter so we're just doing a Spring Theme. I found a few 1st Birthday favors (Bib, Centerpiece, Blowouts) with sprint flowers, bees, etc. on them and everything else will just be bright spring colors. I think I'll get a cake with pretty flowers all over it or do cupcakes with pretty flowers.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:20 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Also - A friend of mine did an under water theme. She had lots of kids at the party, so they did a couple of kiddie pools in the backyard with fish themed toys, a little splash park in the backyard, gold fish crackers for snacks, a blue "underwater" cake with gummie fish swimming around, fish decorations, starfish shaped plates, etc. It was really cute.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I did a beach theme for my daughters first birthday and Wonderpets for her 2nd. I bought plain cups, plates, and napkins and made stickers with the characters on my computer. I also printed them on the banner and drew Linny, Tuck, and Ming Ming on the table cloths. Oh and I made character cupcakes (took SIX HOURS) it can be a lot of work but I am super cheap. This year we're doing a carnival theme. For a first year party I'd say keep it simple.
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 9:17 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• For my daughter's 2nd Birthday I did a polka dot party. It was great! Everyone got really into it. All of the food was a circle in some way... ex. Cheese cut into circles with crackers, pizza with circle toppings, cup cakes instead of a cake with M&M's, gum drops,ect. On the invite I called it a polka dot party and everyone used polka dot wrapping paper! And of course she wore a pretty polka dot dress! I had a hard time finding decorations so I cut out different sized circles out of construction paper and tape them up all over the house. Used all different colored plates (also circles). She loved it and so did her guests. It didn't cost much either which was a plus!!!! Hope this helps.
    Melissa6280

Answer by Melissa6280 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 23, 2009