Milk Letdown

I need to pump milk and I was wondering the best way to get milk to letdown... I heard a glass of wine or a beer (my doctor told me this and it doesn't mean to get drunk off of) but I'm not big on either one... I'm going away with my boyfriend for a night and my mom is going to watch my son... When I pump, my milk doesn't let down for about 5 min so I'm very uncomfortable until it does.

I was wondering what you do to help your milk letdown when you need to pump and you're not near your baby.

alinker

Asked by alinker at 3:31 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i know that you can think about your baby, record her/him crying maybe and listen to it. Take a warm shower first? Thats all I think that would help.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 3:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Hold your baby while you pump (cut a hole in a sports bra to hold the cone if using an electric pump) or nurse on the other side. Smell their blanket & look at a picture of them. Stay hydrated and try to relax. Some people say visualizing the milk flowing is a big help.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:07 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Record your baby crying! Listen to it 5 min before you want to pump. Works everytime!
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 9:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I would drink a big glass of water before pumping and while pumping I would massage my breast in a downward positon to get the milk flowing
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:36 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Alcohol actually inhibits the let down reflex!!! So certainly don't try that!

Mothers often get the most milk if they nurse the baby on one breast while pumping the other breast.

It can help to find a private, comfortable place to pump, free from distractions. Many mothers begin with a pre-pumping ritual, such as putting on a warm sweater, doing relaxation-breathing exercises, massaging their breasts, and imagining nursing their baby. Some mothers find warm compresses before the pumping session can help with letdown. A disposable diaper run under warm tap water can make an excellent compress, and if not filled too full it won't leak. Some moms bring a picture of baby or an item of clothing that smells like baby. Others bring recordings of baby's cooing.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2009