my son is four and doesnt really talk

my son usually gets what he wants across, but he still cant really speak in sentences. alot of what he says is jibberish. he understands what we say, but still doesnt talk. he goes to a preschool especially for speech, but they have so many other kids with other problems... he is clever and athletic and so great but this is a big problem because he cant play well with other kids, and i cant talk with him!!

LadyDahl

Asked by LadyDahl at 3:33 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try going throug his pediatrician and getting a referral to a speech therapist. My friend is going through this with her 3 year old and I know there are therapy classes available to work with them one on one or in a smaller group.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Get his hearing checked first ASAP. Then do speech therapy ASAP. Don't wait! The sooner you get him help, the better. My son was 2yo and didnt even say mama and when he "repeated" words, they didnt sound anything like they were supposed to. Turns out he had lots of fluid in his ears, so he really could not hear. did tests, did antibiotics, that didnt clear the fluid out so they put tubes in his ears and immediately started speech therapy. He did speech therapy for about 9 months and speaks perfectly clear since. :) Find a place where they specialize in speech therapy. the place i went to had 1 pathologist for every two children. he did 3-2.5 hour sessions a week. Insurance covered it too. Good luck!
    ericadrian

Answer by ericadrian at 5:19 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• He needs a speech therapist of some sort. And work with him at home. Make him say things to get what he wants. Don;t let him just point or do jibberish. Make him try to say the actual words. Here there is a program called....First Steps. I think that is the name. He might be past the age that they work with kids, but I know they would come into the daycare I worked at before my baby and would work with 2 of the boys in our 2s room. Once they hit 3 though, their time was done. Their parents gave permission for them to come in and I assume are the ones who contacted them. I don't know if you have anything like that where you are. I would definately try to get this taken care of before kindergarten because he could have a really hard time.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:21 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Definitely get his hearing checked. You can also look into Early Childhood Intervention as another tool, or is that were he is going now? Also, find a Scottish Rights Temple. The one in our town does speech therapy for free or low cost depending on income. It may seem overwhelming but getting duel services can only help him, especially since he will be going to kindergarten soon. Although most schools also have speech therapy.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I am still going though that with my son, he just turned three in Feb 2009. I felt like it was my fault, I took the nuk away to late, but the teacher said " that was not the reason for his delay." I do have ADD, so I don't know if that is the cause for his delay. He dose go to preschool, I have not heard anything about his speech yet. Just hang in there and keep talking to your child, and correctly repeating words.

Westsidemama

Answer by Westsidemama at 12:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i would go with apriljdc. thats exactly what i was going to say. get him other speech classes outside of school. that should make more progress. that way it is more of a one on one type thing instead of a class thing. good luck =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 9:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I am going trough the same thing with my 3 1/2 year old.His speech problems have also caused him to play by himself in school.I can maybe try speech therapy.He will get there just keep talkng to him.I know I feel its my fault but its not.He will get there.
    trevorsmom92305

Answer by trevorsmom92305 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 3, 2009