How do you take a shower with a baby?

I'm trying to figure this out because it would be great to bathe myself and my baby at the same time... I'm a single mom so I'm guessing I would probably need someone to help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can baby sit? I got a bath seat for my daughter. I put her in the bath seat and let her play while I showered and then I bathed her and we got out. If baby is too little, maybe you could put baby in a bouncer seat right outside the shower, in just a diaper, then pick up baby towards the end of your shower and wash her/him, then get out.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:34 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• what i did when my son was too small to sit was I would take a bath with him. Bath him and then wrap him in a towel and set him outside of the shower while I finished...sometimes he screamed about it other times he coo'ed to himself. I also used the bouncer route. I would bath then get him out of the boucner towards then end and then set him in the towel on the floor when I got out. When he got old enough to sit I would just let him crawl around in the tub while I showered....be careful for the soap not to get it in his/her eyes
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:57 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I've taken showers with my babies since their umbilical cord fell off. It definitely makes it easier to have someone to hand the baby off to when it's time to wash yourself and to get them out of the shower. However, I have had to do it myself, shaving as well, with a 2 month old. Start to finish. They are so slippery though that I would suggest having a bath with them rather than a shower until they can sit on their own...just so you don't drop them.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 6:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I just hold him in one arm and wash with the other....trying not to get soap all over him until it's actually time to wash him. It's easier with a 2nd person in the shower or outside the shower. Once they're bigger you can sit them down or in a little seat. Hold on tight, they're slippery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:04 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Bring a bouncer into the bathroom, strip baby down to their diaper and put them in the bouncer next to the shower. (I wait to wash baby 2nd rather than first so she doesn't get cold waiting for me to shower.) Get into the shower, shower as you normally would. When you're done, grab baby and take the diaper off and toss into the trash and then wash baby up. Wrap baby in a towel and either place back in the bouncer while you dry off or just step out and air dry. I usually wrap a towel in my hair and then drip dry while I get baby dried off and lotioned up and dressed.
    AnyaV

Answer by AnyaV at 7:56 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have showered with my 8 month old since he was a newborn
    I have found that as long as you are holding tight, its not a problem. Now he is 8 months, i just hold him the same way as if i were out of the shower (normally) and we do fine. i just do everything one handed-but then again i am very used to doing that anyway, lol!
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 7:57 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• When my daughter was little I used to sit her in a bouncy thing or her carseat carrier thing and hang little toys from the handle of the baby carrier so she could look at them. That way I knew she was safe and could peek out at her at anytime.
    Another thing I learned is that if your baby/toddler is sick, having them sit in the bathroom with you while you take a hot shower with the door closed gets their nose running really well so they can breathe better. Its like a super powered humidifier! lol
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 8:03 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• This is such a good question. I have been showering with my son for awhile now and yes it is much easier. However the 1st time I did he became sooo slippery that I thought I could drop him. So now I loosely wrap him in a baby towel. I make sure I run it between his legs and under his butt. This assures me that I won’t drop him and makes us both comfortable and able to enjoy shower time together. Good luck to you and your little one.
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 8:11 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Forgot to say I would bathe the baby first then you get in after she is dried and dressed because I took my daughter who was 15months old at the time, in the shower with me once and she was so slippery i was scared I was going to drop her! That way if your shirt sleeves get wet while bathing the baby it doesn't matter cause you still have to take those clothes off anyway and the baby stays warm. I didn't have anyone to help me when I was trying to learn how to do all this alone. Its tricky just remember safety first and you can do it :)
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 8:11 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Get an old pumpkin seat from a yardsale or garage sale and rip out the cloth to reveal only the plastic. Put a towel in the seat and put the baby in. Buckle him/her in and sit the seat with the baby in it at the bottom of the shower out of the direct spray of water. Get your shower and stoop down and bath baby right there and take the baby out to rinse and dry. Throw the wet towel over the shower rod to dry so you can use it several times. Saves on doing laundry too.
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 9:40 AM on Mar. 23, 2009