• In the Spotlight:

Infrustructure Jobs: How would prefer your government $ be spent?

A collegue of mine owns a construction company and has put in a bid for some of the infrustructure projects. He was told that to qualify he had to have up to 20% minority owned subcontractor biz(per project). He was at 12%, based on experience and cost before the higher % was released.

1) He was told White Women owned businesses DO NOT qualify in the same manner as a "minority" quota fullfillment.
2) Many Minority owned businesses have raised their rates. They are aware of the increase in quota for bids to minorities. Even the ones with less exp.
3) He had to pass up Experience in more than one area of the project.
4) 3 out of 5 of the vendors he is interviewing do not use, nor plan to use E-Verify (confirms legal to work in USA and insured)

Do you think the concerns for these Government projects should be cost and experienced? Or should cost and experienced be overlooked and the priority be to statisfy a quota?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 5:59 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• When you are talking about building new bridges. Don't you want the MOST EXPERIENCED sub contractors? I am all for everyone getting ahead and a leg up. But I believe in hard work, experience and pricing your business competitively.

Now, I am trying to get confirmation of the white women owned businesses not qualifying. But my opinion is that the priority should be cost and experience. Especially when talking about use of taxpayer funds and important projects like bridges and roads. Go with EXPERIENCE and COST as the most important criteria.jmo

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:05 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i hate quotas. experince and cost effectiveness should be the government's main focus. fuck quotas.
    Mel.Ann.Choly

Answer by Mel.Ann.Choly at 6:06 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My husband works for a white woman owned construction company (very small one though). They definitely get the minority quota bids. IDK what that person was telling your husband. White women owners are still considered a minority.

Is your husband union? That has a lot to do with things as well. My husbands company can very often underbid union companies.

Sounds like wherever you are has their priorities seriously effed up. Of course cost and reputation should be most considered when making a bid. Not just quotas!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Anon, thanks for the answer. Actually it's a collegue of mine. And yes, the woman as a minority had me questioning, what he was saying. After reading up a little today~What I think it is, the company can be minority owned, but the subcontractor has to have "so many" minority workers employed that meet the quota, in order to be eligible for Government Projects.  .And union is looking as though it plays a big part in these government projects as well.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:04 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have done absolutely no research on this topic, didn't think I would have to for awhile. I would hope the percentages were more in line with the actual US Populations as far as minorities goes, verification I think would be required by any employer, and quality of work would be the most important cirteria when it comes to winning a bid. Creating jobs, just to give jobs to minority owned companies or areas that need it may prove to be more harmful in the long run when the bridges collapse and the roads have to be repaved earlier than expected. Costing more money in the long run. If we don't have the money to pay to have it done right the first time, how do we taxpayers afford to have it done right the second time?
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 8:33 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I don't think any of this is right. Just let me know what bridges they have all the rookies work on and I'll route my gps around them. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:56 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• That person was wrong. "Women" owned companies in general are in a minority class all their own and are elegable. Tell him to research more minority owned businesses, there are PLENTY out there who do things the right way and are experienced.
    My father has owned his own subcontracting construction company since 1984 and has been in the business since he was 15. He knows his stuff in his sleep. The man can figure out numbers better than anyone I know. He's handled government contracts including working on major bridges for Baltimore City and had a large and in some of the cities largest rehab jobs. He pays his taxes, he has forms, he's insured, everything he needs to be.He's maticulous (sp) about his work and does NOT like to put his name on a half ayis job.He is a minority owned business, but lately has been looked over by companies who want to use illegal workers to cut costs. Tell him to keep looking, they are out there.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 9:33 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Just to throw in there, there are alot of people who just know their stuff. We have a timber mill here in town that has been in operation for about a hundred years. There is an old black man who "gauges" the timber when it comes in on the trucks. He started working there when he was around 5-6, and now he is blind, but he can gauge the weight of the timber on the trucks just by how they sound coming into the mill off the highway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My dad has 10 percent minority workers so he won't qualify for certain jobs. There are very few minorities where he lives only 2 percent minorities in the area. This is total crap there are quotas. My dad and his crews are experienced and are inexpensive. My dad said he will be there to fix the work of the out of towners with the right amount of minorites they bring in do a crappy job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• cost effective vs. experience are the problems with most of the government projects.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2009