18 month old still wakes up in the middle of the night!!

Its not and every night thing but I'm soo tired lol. Sometimes I rock her back to sleep or give her a bottle but sometimes that doesn't work. She stays up from 2-5 and we wake up at 6 for school. What should I do? (She sleeps with me )

MomAt15woah

Asked by MomAt15woah at 7:31 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No offense but you should get her off the bottle, and you shouldn't allow her to sleep with you, Letting kids sleep with you is always a bad habit and a hard one to break. But as far as her waking up in the middle of the night, My 20 month old was doing it ...for god only knows how long, I felt like i never got to sleep, then i switched her mattress and she has been sleeping all through the night...
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 8:00 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Sounds like too much dependency. Although, my son sleeps with me as well so I do not think that is wrong. Maybe try to get her off the bottle? Feel her tummy up with something that will stick to her ribs like oatmeal that is what I do and he is out. Also, if we put him to be too late he has a hard time sleeping through the night.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:13 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My oldest now 4 did this until she was 18 months old. I never slept with her though. I also never rocked her because I didn't want to make it a habbit for her to fall asleep. I use to give her a bottle to bed as soon as she was able to hold it then she took herself off the bottle shortly after that and I started giving her a sippy cup tobed that is a big mistake I thought because then like with my dd she fell asleep but would wake up because she wanted the cup to fall back to sleep. But you say that it doesn't work sometimes so I am not sure of what to tell you. I told my sister her son is 8 months I told her to never give her baby a bottle to go to bed with or she will be having a heck of a time to get him off of it latter lol. But my dd was 18 months before she would sleep through the night. I look at it this way. I know it is tiring but they wont do it forever lol.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• One thing is to try to switch her from the bottle to a sippy..my daughter was waking up a lot during the night because her bottle was empty..now she's on a sippy cup and she hardly ever wakes up during the night..Another thing is..having a child sleep with you is a bad idea. It may be good bonding and whatever else someone wants to say, but its not letting you get a good nights sleep. You need to get her into her own room..or at least own bed. If you can do this you will probably find things a little easier on all of you..but if not then just remember..it shouldnt last forever!
    madisonsmom7197

Answer by madisonsmom7197 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Try a night time routine...make sure she eats a half an hour before bed, if she isn't on solids yet make sure you give her a thick bottle (milk with cereal, custard) and then give her a bath. I use lavender calming lotion for my son and then its off to bed. This would be easier if she has her own bed or crib as well. And a reduction of light and noise in the room will help. It make take a few days/weeks but if you are consistent it should work. My son is 17 months and he sleeps from 7:30pm to 8am. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

• my youngest was on the bottle till he was 2.5 and i dont care if these moms on here like it or not.
    He also woke up all th time at night till he was 3 or more and he would then take a sippy at night so i think its just somthing that gets better.
    He also was colicy for 6 months also so i had a rough way to go.lol
    I personally dont like kids sleeping with me but some do, i think it is a possiblity that you guys COULD be waking her in the middle of the night and should see if she does better sleeping alone, try this on the weekend so theres no school of course.
    And again i am so glad your still in school!!!!
    dita

Answer by dita at 7:17 PM on Apr. 11, 2009