Should I tell her teacher or counselor?

At my SS's 5th bday party sat., their Papaw almost got in a fight with his ex-SIL (his daughter's ex hubby, father to his oldest grand kids, and brother to his own sister's husband). They don't generally get along that well, but normally there isn't a big scene. However, there is a lot of stress going in Papaws life so he just sort of snapped I guess. Well, Papaw's son (my SO) tried to stop the fight from happening. And it ended in those to yelling at one another. Right now, mySO's parents are living with us and have been since Aug. They are both at the end of their ropes. They don't live well with one another. Either way, most all the kids were outside. My SD was crying holding on to my sister when I got outside. I sent her inside and after I felt that my SO and his dad weren't going to physically go at it, I went inside to check on her and her cousin's (SS didn't even seem to care what was going on). see more...

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 8:09 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• So, does the child live with you and her dad or the mom? If she lives with you guys then it wouldn't hurt to mention it to the teacher, maybe send her an e-mail, just so she knows what's going on. Otherwise if the child brings it up she may think it's more serious than it is or if she's upset at shcool she will know why. I don't think she needs to talk to the school counselor, but it sounds like there's alot going on and that there has been alot going on in this child's life so it may be beneficial to take the child to a private counselor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• She was still upset, but calming down. I tried to comfort her and let her know that it would be okay. I asked if she had any questions or wanted to talk or anything. Her dad was still calming down. He felt bad and sad. Its really hard for him this stuff with his dad. Either way, I did try to talk to her about it. I said that sometimes people get mad and don't handle it right. She has seen fights before. Her dad and her mom use to fight a lot. And I don't know how much she has ever seen her papaw get like that. either way, she told her mom about everything when they went there sunday. She still seemed upset. I told BM that I would have dad talk to her. My question is, should I let her teacher know about it? Have her talk to the school counselor? Or just handle it at home?
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:13 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Either talk to her counselor about it, or leave it at home... Counselors have better training & will know how to deal with it. and the counselor will inform the teacher properly... If you tell the teacher she may not know how to respond appropriately.

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• The teacher can also assist the counselor and get the ball rolling. She may need to have services. If it was a one time thing, I'd say don't over worry, but if everyone lives in the same house then you should mention it.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2009