Should I tell her teacher or counselor?

At my SS's 5th bday party sat., their Papaw almost got in a fight with his ex-SIL (his daughter's ex hubby, father to his oldest grand kids, and brother to his own sister's husband). They don't generally get along that well, but normally there isn't a big scene. However, there is a lot of stress going in Papaws life so he just sort of snapped I guess. Well, Papaw's son (my SO) tried to stop the fight from happening. And it ended in those to yelling at one another. Right now, mySO's parents are living with us and have been since Aug. They are both at the end of their ropes. They don't live well with one another. Either way, most all the kids were outside. My SD was crying holding on to my sister when I got outside. I sent her inside and after I felt that my SO and his dad weren't going to physically go at it, I went inside to check on her and her cousin's (SS didn't even seem to care what was going on). see more...

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 8:15 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Yes, call the school counsleor and have him/her talk to the SD. Explain the entire situation like you did hear, the counselor will know what to do. Good for you for wanting to help your SD, you sound like a wonderful parent.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• She was still upset, but calming down. I tried to comfort her and let her know that it would be okay. I asked if she had any questions or wanted to talk or anything. Her dad was still calming down. He felt bad and sad. Its really hard for him this stuff with his dad. Either way, I did try to talk to her about it. I said that sometimes people get mad and don't handle it right. She has seen fights before. Her dad and her mom use to fight a lot. And I don't know how much she has ever seen her papaw get like that. either way, she told her mom about everything when they went there sunday. She still seemed upset. I told BM that I would have dad talk to her. My question is, should I let her teacher know about it? Have her talk to the school counselor? Or just handle it at home?
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:15 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Well, first of all, I have to give you a pat on the back because most parents would choose to ignore this and treat it as no big deal. Good for you. I would suggest having her talk to the guidance counselor at school. Children are more open to talking to someone that isn't a relative. Good luck.

vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 8:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2009