help to teach

my son need help to write his name he been in pre-k all school year but still can't write his name they have not been helping he to write his name we are thinking about taking him out of pre-school what do you think about what i should do befor he went he could spell his name but now he don't

michellesp

Asked by michellesp at 8:43 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Practice at home with him everyday. Do his name in dots, so he can trace. And start teaching him to spell his name out loud. Clap and say his name in rythm so he will memorize it. This helped my child spelling his long name. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:00 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Do you work with him at home? If not, I would try that. Just a few minutes each day would be beneficial.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:03 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• at my SS's preschool they write their name in a book at least once a day. and he has started writing it other places. his Rs are backwards, but he does really well. And he has started being able to spell it out loud this last month or so.

They have books to help with writing letters and such at walmart and target. You can also get the lined paper. People on here have also shown me the starfall.com website which has a lot of stuff for this age group. there are little worksheet things you can print out.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Don't pressure him. He's still young. My almost 5 year old spent a year in pre-k too and couldn't write his name. I homeschooled pre-k for him this year and now he's finally got it. Give him some time. Just because some kids learn at 3 doesn't mean they all should.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:17 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I agree with ReneeK3 - don't pressure him. He's too young to start feeling stress about writing or reading readiness. If you want him to practice, let him practice general fine motor skills by drawing, scribbling, etc...but don't make an issue over writing his name or anything else. If your only reason for having him in preschool is academic, then consider the importance of social interactions and learning how to listen to teachers, follow instructions, self-control all outside of the home environment. This is what preschool is for...not academics, but pre-school readiness...learning the skills needed for school in general.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:59 AM on Mar. 23, 2009