Can a pharmacist refuse to fill my prescriptions?

I take two ssris and have for over 5 years one of them is Paxil which is now questionable for birth defects and I am pregnant. I have had two children on Paxil and my Doctor and I decided it was best to stay on it. I have tried getting off it before. This pharmacist filled it once but talked to my Doctor and called me to tell me about her sister who had a baby w\ birth defects but they were not Paxil related. Anyway I don't know if she won't fill it b\c its two ssris or because Paxil may cause birth defects.

tabtabmom

Asked by tabtabmom at 9:16 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I believe a pharmacist can refuse to fill an rx. I think, in terms of that, they are just like any store/restaurant that can refuse service. I'm not entirely sure on how it works, but I think they can refuse to fill any rx at any time. I've never personally experienced it, though.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:21 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It sucks but, yes they can. If they believe that your perscription is potentionally harmful to your health they reserve the option to deny you medicine. That does not mean that you can't go to another pharmacist.
    They take an oathe when they are finished with school which I believe includes protecting the public. I'm not sure because I haven't heard it in a few years. I use to work at a school that taught Pharmacy Technology and I remember the Instructor telling me that a pharmacist can get into a lot of trouble for giving out the wrong medicine or not double checking to make sure that your medicines don't conflict with another you may be taking.

I would suggest asking the pharmacist what their reason is and then if you're not satisfied, have your perscription transferred.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 9:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Any owner of a business can refuse service. A pharmacist is a provider of a service so they can refuse. I they feel a medication is dangerous or conflicts with another medicine your on they can not fill it and call the doctor to alert them to the problem. If the doctor still wont change the med and thinks it should be filled the person can go to another pharmacy.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 23, 2009