What are the risks associated with VBAC?

I am preg with my 2nd, and the 1st was a c-section because labor was not progressing. I would like to know about the risks, and how likely is it that I will end up having a c-section anyway like the first time. I am going to my OB later this week, but I wanted some advice from you ladies who have been there. I am keeping this anonymous because we haven't told anyone about the baby yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had a csection with my first due to non progression and I am planning a VBAC with this baby. The pros actually out weigh the cons. There are a ton of sites out there that you can go to for all the stats, just google VBAC and you should find one to help answer some questions. I cant remember off hand what they are but it helped me make my decision for VBAC and it helps that my midwife is all for it and very supportive. You will need to find out if your hospital/dr support VBAC. Our hospital is the only one in the state that allows you to try for a VBAC. GOOD LUCK to you.
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Congrats!!! If you want to have a VBAC then talk with your OB. Each person comes from different circumstances as far as risks. But ultimately the risk of a VBAC is your incision rupturing. My first baby was born via planned c-section. I know that not going into labour increased my chances of a VBAC to about 80%. I've had 2 DD's since my first with a c-section. Second baby was a harder recovery than the one with a c-section. I had an epidural and the labour was quite quick. My 3rd baby was natural, for lack of time and was by far the best recovery I could have ever expected.
    Good luck to you and I hope you get the answers from your OB that you are looking for. If you are not able to do a VBAC though just remember it's best for you and baby.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I havent been there but I know that if you are wanting a vbac your local hospital will have to be properly equipped... I live in a small area and our local hospital is NOT equipped so my friend had to have a 2nd c-sec or travel 2 hours to another hospital/group of doctors that her insurance wouldnt cover. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• just for a little added info. I have read and heard that you chances of having your uterus rupture is less than 1% but since it's a big thing if it does the doctors still have to tell you about that risk, but there are normally signs that the doctors will be able to see so that mom and baby are ok, even if it does end up in an emergency c-section.
    smltwnmom

Answer by smltwnmom at 1:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• You are at risk for your uterus rupturing and bleeding out. The uterus already has a scar that cannot handle the pressure like a uterus without a scar.
    ChristianNurse

Answer by ChristianNurse at 1:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2009