• In the Spotlight:

Strong Let-Down

What should I do? When my baby latches on and starts to get milk it comes down so fast it gags him sometimes. The poor kid has gotten milk in the eye more times from pulling off sputtering and coughing... and hes only 2 weeks! When it happens Ive been holding a cloth over myself till it slows and then try again.. Other than that we are doing great with the breast and he is gaining weight so good and going thru plenty of diapers. I just dont like gagging him... Anything else i should try?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First, if you are not already, nurse on only one breast per feeding. You will find a ton of helpful info at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

" Placing the baby in a more upright position, so that his head is higher than the breast, will allow him more control during the feeding. Or position yourself so that you are leaning backwards, with the baby almost on top of you after he latches. In this position the milk has to flow "uphill," which will reduce the force of your milk ejection reflex."

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I was like that as well. As soon as I pulled off my nursing bra or pad the milk would be squirting straight out. Eventually it evened out but it took a long time. Just be grateful you produce enough milk with no problems!

I did get a kick out of using my boobs as water guns against my little sister. Haha. She was so grossed out.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:50 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Oh also, maybe try having him more in a sitting up position when he latches on....that will help a little. He'll get used to it :)
    munch12502

• squirt some out before you feed him. Your breast night be too full, if you empty it out a lil it will not shoot out so hard. This worked for me at first, eventually as daughter got bigger she could handle the crazy milk squirting out & not gag. It's normal, i think it happens to every mom in the beginning.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:52 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• did get a kick out of using my boobs as water guns against my little sister. Haha. She was so grossed out.

That is HILARIOUS!!!!! It is pretty cool how they shoot out like that, i use to get a kick out of it!!!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• That is HILARIOUS!!!!! It is pretty cool how they shoot out like that, i use to get a kick out of it!!!

I know right?!? Nobody else seemed to think it was as funny as I did.

munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• OH I did! 7 months later, I still do! I just expressed into a burp cloth, blanket, napkin, towel, whatever was closest and washable! OR if you are organized enough ( I am NOT) you can be ready to pump that out before you feed him, and then freeze it! Don't give up though, I didn't realize with my first LO that that was what was going on, and I gave up because I thought that he was rejecting me...sounds like you are smarter than that! Good Luck!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2009