Do you do baby sign language? What age did you start?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started trying at four monthes with my son he is now eight monthes and doesnt know any baby sign lenguage. They say not to force them so i pretty much just gave up like last week he's started talking anyway so we just use flash cards and don't worry aboutt he sign language. I'd suggest at least trying though because i'm sure that the flash cards every day are what helped my son start talking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• we just started last week (ds is 6 months), we got the baby einstein's first sign's video, and just this morning I signed drink and he grabbed his cup and drank!! might be a coincidence, but i'm still happy and proud :)
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I started DD around 12 months. Right around 13 months my DD did the sign for "more." I tend to teach her only the signs I feel she needs to know: more, eat, drink, all done, and milk. I'm working on teaching her water and hurt/pain right now. She doesn't do the sign for eat or drink yet, but does all done, more, and milk regularly. And she just started trying to say milk last week. My friend was concerned that DD wouldn't say the words because she was signing. I explained to her that DD WILL learn the words. She says, "mya" for milk.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 11:50 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Yes, I started my DD on the Signing Times videos at around 5 months old. They're wonderful and she learned fast. She had trouble speaking clear enough to understand until after 2 years old, so her being about to sign helped a lot.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Yup, i teach baby sign language so yes both my kids know it. i started with abigail (now 4) at age 6 months and she signed at 8 months for milk to this day she still uses it to help me with lil sister ella who is 9 months old. now with ella we started at day one to get ourselves used to signing for everything! she is now 9 months and signs more, eat, milk, please (sort of its our new one)
    you can start as early as you want but you probably will not see signs until about 9 or 10 months that is the average. Feel free to pm me with any questions and i will be happy to help!
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 3:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2009